Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Narrow Band Filter question

ian_bird

Just now, ian_bird said:

We are going to get censured by the Mods at this rate. On the grounds of appallingly bad jokes.  

Speak for yourself, Ian! My jokes are excellent. I can't remember the last time they failed to make me laugh... Why, that last toss of the custard pie at what's his name's new Takahashi - how we laughed!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Did i forget to add also have some nice 6nm Astronomiks too (other brands may be available) :) 

On a serious note trying to figure them out, yes wider bandpass but they seem to allow more data through quicker somehow, whilst keeping stars tight and noise low - hoping to get an image out using these and the RH200/16803 (though the 8300 goes on after that) point being there are other alternatives that are not so costly and perform very well.

Paddy

Interesting. Cost has always been a bit of a barrier for *really* narrow band imaging. Well - it has been for me. Hence the 31mm filter route.

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Speak for yourself, Ian! My jokes are excellent. I can't remember the last time they failed to make me laugh... Why, that last toss of the custard pie at what's his name's new Takahashi - how we laughed!

Custard pies? You need a ladder carried over your shoulder!

And perhaps a car where  the doors fall off.

Oh. Wait a minute. You already have one of those.

As you were.

11 minutes ago, ian_bird said:

We are going to get censured by the Mods at this rate. On the grounds of appallingly bad jokes.  

So the topic of filters could be filtered by the mod's - poetic irony!

7 minutes ago, ian_bird said:

Interesting. Cost has always been a bit of a barrier for *really* narrow band imaging. Well - it has been for me. Hence the 31mm filter route.

Well on  serious note i could not run to 50mm squares so thought i would try the Astronomiks - substantially cheaper and so far i am impressed but yet to run any OIII and SII so watch this space.  My view thus far is the HA is a viable alternative to AD's 5nm.  (Also worth noting i have no filter reflections which old ones suffered from).  Also have the New L2 and DeepSky RGB so will be running a test on those as well in due course. (that's is of course when the cloud has passed!) 

Paddy

4 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

So the topic of filters could be filtered by the mod's - poetic irony!

Well on  serious note i could not run to 50mm squares so thought i would try the Astronomiks - substantially cheaper and so far i am impressed but yet to run any OIII and SII so watch this space.  My view thus far is the HA is a viable alternative to AD's 5nm.  (Also worth noting i have no filter reflections which old ones suffered from).  Also have the New L2 and DeepSky RGB so will be running a test on those as well in due course. (that's is of course when the cloud has passed!) 

Paddy

Sorry about the thread drift. I blame Olly.

I will be watching with great interest for the results of your post cloud experiments. For now - I will be holding off on any purchases.

Cheers

Ian

Archived