Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Still got problems with my LX90

This is really starting to put me of this hobby,i have an LX90 8"an have been trying to do some imaging.let me tell you whats happening.set up my LX90 got it level,calibrated sensors,allready did a train drives,and then let it do a automatic align,first it finds north(which looks off)then it finds the tilt and level,which is definitely off because it is not level.then slews to Polaris which is no where to be seen in the view finder(it is that much out).so i center it and enter,then finds 2 more stars,the first one is right at the edge of the view finder and second one is a little bit closer to center,but still no where to be seen in a 26mm eyepiece.so after i have centred every thing and setup i went to M13,Put the DSI C on,focused on M13,centred M13,setup envisage to take 4 second exposures,(this is what is starting to get on my nerves),press start and first sub OK,second sub trails of about 5mm on the screen,third OK,fourth trails and so on.it is like the scope jumps a bit(suppose jump is the wrong word but you get my drift)actually drift is a better word,but it doesn't keep drifting in one direction it drifts in all directions

I really am stumped as what to do????

Anyone got some advice

Thanks Tez

First have you entered your coordinates correctly?

Secondly, Is it an LNT version? (check LNT battery) or have you entered the correct time yourself.

The scope doesn't have to phisycally point to north etc during auto align.

Jeff.

First have you entered your coordinates correctly?

Secondly, Is it an LNT version? (check LNT battery) or have you entered the correct time yourself.

The scope doesn't have to phisycally point to north etc during auto align.

Jeff.

Hi,yes every thing like time and where i live is right, i changed the battery only a few months ago and it is a LNT model

When the scope levels it self it is not level which seems odd,but the thing that i want to sort out is when it keeps jumping (drifting) when imaging,i could understand if it drifted over a longer period but not every few seconds jumping different places

This happens even when i do an easy or 2 star align(it still drifts every few seconds when I'm imaging)

Tez

Tez. Why don't you join the Meade4M Forum. There is a guy on there called Mark Sibole,

I think he is head Honcho, and he is very helpful. Any answers he provides may be slow getting to you due to the time difference of course. Read the LX90 posts first, your problem may alreadfy have been addressed.

Ron. :)

http://www.meade4m.com/

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/lx90/

Your imagine problem is you may have forgot to draw a box around the subject, it will stack and align correct then, You can draw 2 boxes around two stars etc and this will also stop rotation of the subject.

Jeff.

Have you connected the scope via envisage as well as just the camera? The software sort of relies on controlling the scope also. Without doing that, I would say 5 seconds in alt az with no movement would be lucky due to the size of the chip. You connect, draw a box around 2 stars, and click guide on the left (using drizzle) then it does a sort of autoguiding and should enable longer subs.

It doesn't sound like anything to do with the alignment, or indeed the mechanics of the scope really. The first alignment star should be off centre, and it doesn't really matter how much, as it remembers the correctoin you make centering it. The second star should be closer, but again it relies on making that correction, as once you have done that it tilts it's whole database according to the amount and directions that you have had to move it. Don;t worry about the North sensor pointing, as it's about the sensor chip pointing North, not the body of the unit. Sometimes they appear to point South, it doesn't matter. As for the level, again the scope is measuring the tip and tilt, than it shifts it's catalogue to match.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Have you connected the scope via envisage as well as just the camera? The software sort of relies on controlling the scope also. Without doing that, I would say 5 seconds in alt az with no movement would be lucky due to the size of the chip. You connect, draw a box around 2 stars, and click guide on the left (using drizzle) then it does a sort of autoguiding and should enable longer subs.

It doesn't sound like anything to do with the alignment, or indeed the mechanics of the scope really. The first alignment star should be off centre, and it doesn't really matter how much, as it remembers the correctoin you make centering it. The second star should be closer, but again it relies on making that correction, as once you have done that it tilts it's whole database according to the amount and directions that you have had to move it. Don;t worry about the North sensor pointing, as it's about the sensor chip pointing North, not the body of the unit. Sometimes they appear to point South, it doesn't matter. As for the level, again the scope is measuring the tip and tilt, than it shifts it's catalogue to match.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi Steve,cheers mate you have give me alot to think about ,i will take it on board and hopefully something you have said will help,I have connected my scope with a 30 meter data connection cable to the #497 hand set and could control the scope but saw no difference,anyway thanks Guy's for views just hope i can get it sorted.and if theres anything else that pops in to your head then be sure to tell me!!!(i will try anything)

Tez

You haven't got a small amount of backlash in the Dec or RA drive gears have you? this may be the problem and is easily adjustable.

Or maybe the more common rubber banding syndrome? Although i can't remember the cure for this it's a minor problem, It's when you centre the image and the scope automatically adjusts itself back.

Jeff.

You haven't got a small amount of backlash in the Dec or RA drive gears have you? this may be the problem and is easily adjustable.

Or maybe the more common rubber banding syndrome? Although i can't remember the cure for this it's a minor problem, It's when you centre the image and the scope automatically adjusts itself back.

Jeff.

Hi Jeff,there is a slight bit of play in the up down movement but I'm sure its supposed to be like that as for the rubber banding issue it does sound quite like whats happening ,i will look in to that issue a bit more.it sounds quite intriguing i will see if i can find anything on that subject

Tez

That won;t cure 'rubber banding' though, as it's software. The dec gearbox pivot screws are the only mechanical adjustment for backlash. I would advise -if the unit is not under guarantee - strip down the fork arm and de-grease the clutch, and check the picot screws. If not send it to TH.

I'M SURE IT'S SORTED YIPEE!!!,Got my bobs nobs from America in 4 days aswell,put them in and can not belive my eyes,all the collimation issues have gone,just weird,then i put my spare autostar on and tried to do a bit of imageing,all the jumping around has gone,so it was a good night.now i can try and concentrate on getting my collimation spot on.i really am so happy that its fixed(fingers crossed) :shocked::lol::):lol::D

Tez

Archived