Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OH what a night

wookie1965

I`m sorry as this is the first time properly I have used a goto and I`m not to familiar with finding objects near each other (more research needed) So just went for it. M31 much larger in the 200 than the 150 went up to 8mm for this could see bright core everything else was diffuse, Double cluster 12mm beautiful sight so many stars cracking clusters,M27 used my UHC filter here on the 12mm made out the basic shape but only with averted vision, NGC 6826 I thought my mount had messed up then with averted vision there it was beautiful looked like a snowball surrounded by  a few stars. M29 lovely cluster white/blue and red stars. Thought I would go for the two planets I haven't seen yet so Tried Uranus and I was not disappointed  could make out green tinge with my 8mm, Neptune next I wasn't sure I had seen it could only see 3 stars in a row on top of each other only when I came in and checked Stellarium did i know that the top point of light was  the planet. As Nick has told me go for doubles so I did first 17 cygni lovely yellow blue double,61 cygni quite separated these both Yellow/red in colour, Eta Cas now this was a close pair I had been using 15mm went down to 8 mm split this nicely lovely yellow and red pair Yellow being the larger, Lambda Ari yellow and slight orange pair, as it was getting light by now thought i would go for darkest part of sky and went to m57 and it was stunning went right up to 8mm and it was stunning especially with the UHC filter, I can say it was a brilliant night just need to find out how to use the mount better. I would have liked to have seen Piazzi`s flying star, garnet star, stock 1 and more things like this but as i don't have their designation i couldn't find them.

Great report from the night's observations! Good to hear you got on well the GOTO.  The problem with the database in the handset is it's a little limited for those objects outside of the standard NGC or IC catalogues  Such as Stock 1 / 2 don't afaik have any other designation.  You can always look a close by object or star and then slew to it manually though. 

What a brilliant report, I know you've had a steep learning curve, but well done , especially under that moon !

I'll dig out some pointers for you. The handset can find anything either by use of the SAO catalogue ( has many of the best binaries )or entering the RA and dec positions in the user button . This opens up storage and recall of your objects in case you wish to return to observe. The other more interesting way is to record your own RA and dec coords using a star atlas.

once again well done Paul, a great kick off yo the forthcoming super league season,

Piazzi's flying double in Cygnus,( 61 Cygni).........SAO 070919.

Garnet Star (Mu Ceph).........SAO 033693

Alfirk (β)......SAO 010057

Stock2( "Muscleman cluster") is twice the size of the Moon, I usually see this in bins or flow the chain of stars up from the double cluster at x40. It's at 02h 15m 55s    +59 33'.

Stock 1 in Vulpecula is huge and best in bins. It's at 19h 36m 29s    +25 15'. Catch the coathanger here in bins half way between Altair and Albireo at 19h26m   +20 13', best in a pair of x8 bins !

Other targets are best out of the range of GOTO. Kemble's cascade is one top span of Cassiopeia to the left. A lovely low power binocular chain with NGC 1501 and NGC 1502 at the base.

enjoy ! Clear skies !

Nick.

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

What a brilliant report, I know you've had a steep learning curve, but well done , especially under that moon !

I'll dig out some pointers for you. The handset can find anything either by use of the SAO catalogue ( has many of the best binaries )or entering the RA and dec positions in the user button . This opens up storage and recall of your objects in case you wish to return to observe. The other more interesting way is to record your own RA and dec coords using a star atlas.

once again well done Paul, a great kick off yo the forthcoming super league season,

Piazzi's flying double in Cygnus,( 61 Cygni).........SAO 070919.

Garnet Star (Mu Ceph).........SAO 033693

Alfirk (β)......SAO 010057

Stock2( "Muscleman cluster") is twice the size of the Moon, I usually see this in bins or flow the chain of stars up from the double cluster at x40. It's at 02h 15m 55s    +59 33'.

Stock 1 in Vulpecula is huge and best in bins. It's at 19h 36m 29s    +25 15'. Catch the coathanger here in bins half way between Altair and Albireo at 19h26m   +20 13', best in a pair of x8 bins !

Other targets are best out of the range of GOTO. Kemble's cascade is one top span of Cassiopeia to the left. A lovely low power binocular chain with NGC 1501 and NGC 1502 at the base.

enjoy ! Clear skies !

Nick.

As usual Nick a mind of knowledge i can learn from but that's exactly what i need I can enjoy my Astro now and get out at every opportunity more reports to follow clear skies willing.

Paul

Archived