NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR cooler - fridge polarity question

michaelmorris

Whilst on a tip run the other day a spied a mini fridge sitting on the concrete.  'A DSLR cooler' I thought, and quickly bundled it into the boot of my car.  

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1225516.htm

The fridge came with no leads.  It has inputs for 230v and 12v inputs an on/off switch and a warm/cold stitch.  I found a suitable 230v flex and plugged it in, set it to cold and hey presto - it works! :icon_biggrin:.  The temperature inside the fridge fell to 4oC in less than 30 minutes.

At the moment I have no way of powering it by 12v so I can't test that this input works.  I have a few questions relating to this.

- Is the fridge likely to get the temperature down to 4oC if it runs on 12v?

- if yes, will it be significantly slower at reaching this temperature?

- If I get the polarity wrong when wiring it up to 12v, could I damage  it?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

Whilst on a tip run the other day a spied a mini fridge sitting on the concrete.  'A DSLR cooler' I thought, and quickly bundled it into the boot of my car.  

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1225516.htm

The fridge came with no leads.  It has inputs for 230v and 12v inputs an on/off switch and a warm/cold stitch.  I found a suitable 230v flex and plugged it in, set it to cold and hey presto - it works! :icon_biggrin:.  The temperature inside the fridge fell to 4oC in less than 30 minutes.

At the moment I have no way of powering it by 12v so I can't test that this input works.  I have a few questions relating to this.

- Is the fridge likely to get the temperature down to 4oC if it runs on 12v?

- if yes, will it be significantly slower at reaching this temperature?

- If I get the polarity wrong when wiring it up to 12v, could I damage  it?

Thanks

1. Its a fridge so should work at 4°C at 12v

2. No idea

3. The mains 12v adapter appears to be polarised so it might get warm instead of cold if you get the polarity wrong :D

Could you disconnect all but the fan and check the fan rotation to determine the correct polarity - I suspect the fan should rotate such that it expels air from the unit.

Jim

Open it up, it will have a PCB that likely requires the 12V volts to be connected correctly,  Look at the 12 volt connector and trace the wires or printed circuit tracks until you find a polarised capacitor on the board, this will indicate which way to connect the 12 volt supply. 

Archived