NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need some career help here

Astroboy239

6 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

No, I am asking if I have to do science or engineering basically, right now my collage has started and I'm doing geology. Maths physics and chemistry. 

Varad 

What does your college say? Is engineering or science an option being offered?  If it is being offered have you asked if you can be timetabled for either.  In planning your option choices for potential entry to an undergraduate course you really need to be seeking advice from the university's admissions department as to what they require regarding subjects and at what level. The last thing you want to happen is to apply to a university only to find that you do not have the appropriate entrance qualifications.  Have you sought advice directly from any university?  

How long is your college course - when do you complete it and what is the name/level of the award?

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Important point (for Original Poster): One skill you need to develop is reading the question and answering the question.

Several people have asked about what level and we still have no answer.  any suggestions are very dependent on the level you are studying at (i.e. school age 16, school age 18, university, etc.).  You will find answering the question a very valuable skill at most levels through education.

Maybe just tell us your age and we'll guess  the level.  Younger you are the more you need to keep your options open as something you love at age 16 might not be as fascinating at age 18 as you get to learn other subjects in greater depth.  Certainly my chosen future at age 16 (to be a vet) changed through my subsequent education (to study zoology) and further through university education (into computer modelling) and then further into my career (into scientific research control systems).  All were natural progressions and only possible as I kept my options open through subject choices.

Ian

A friend of mine is an extremely talented astrophysicist and he told me of his entry interview to Glasgow University*

The interviewer was sat in front of a brightly lit window so all my friend could see was a silhouette

He took his seat and was asked

"What do you want to do at University"

He responded

"Astronomy"

He was told

"Right, Maths and Physics.....dismissed"

And he was accepted, finished his degree, did a PhD in astrophysics and went on to work for people like NASA and ESA :-)

Love that story - if nothing else it reinforces the advice you've been given by some posters here - good luck!

David

*he started university when about your age too (think he was 15) - very young - but he is exceptional :-)

1 hour ago, Astroboy239 said:

Wow that's great. Is your friend on sgl? 

I don't think so - I rarely see him these days otherwise I'd put you in touch with him for some advice

Having said that you've got some great advice here on SGL already to get you on your way

But..... you really must speak with your school / career advisers , they're best placed to help - no-one on SGL knows you enough to be as helpful as they will be  :-)

I admire your enthusiasm and envy the opportunities that may be ahead for you - good luck!

David

On 7/7/2016 at 01:02, saac said:

Varad, I would go along with Jeff's recommendation and make sure you have both Physics and Maths at the appropriate university entry level. Don't know if it is any help to you but I've posted a link to the University of Glasgow which offers a Physics with Astrophysics undergraduate course.  You can see from the mandatory entry requirements that they specify Physics and Mathematics (two or three additional subjects also required pending on grades held and reflecting the Scottish school certificate system).  If you are looking to study at a foreign university you may well find it useful to contact the admissions department directly to discuss academic entry requirements and your subject choices - I would also seek advice on the points they award to your particular school certificates.  For example if you are following the International Baccalaureate Glasgow University would require 36 points for their standard entry route. If you are offering other national certificates you would really need to discuss their suitability with the individual university. Hope that helps.

Physics with Astrophysics - University of Glasgow

Jim

I'd like to study physics/astrophysics or physics and astronomy at Glasgow uni! :)

Louise

6 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

16 is my age. Well I want to do astrophysics and then research. 

In which case, keep your options as open as possible.  A lot can change between now and when you career in Astrophysics research will start (world economy, political impacts on overseas qualified researchers and work permits, your own interests, available research budgets and available research positions, etc., etc. (e.g. when an economy downturns shortsighted people with power over budgets can see scientific research as easy to cut)).

You still have a lot to discover and some of that you will find interesting and some of that will not be astrophysics.

Ian

Archived