NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skytee 2 - can this be right?

GazK

Hi, paging all skytee 2 mod / stripdown experts!

I recently picked one of these up 2nd hand for a crazy price, and its history is murky but it has definitely seen some use. When it arrived the alt axis was graunchy, so I stripped it back and reseated, and its much better now. BUT I'm wondering if it is constructed correctly or if a component is missing.

When it is correctly tensioned, the bearings on the counterweight side of the alt axis are all Teflon - so far so good. But on the main mount side, where the slomo worm is, the first surfaces to make contact with each other is between the slomo spur gear housing and the end piece which the dovetail clamps to. This is a very narrow meeting point and as you can see is a paint to paint contact - hence the paint flaking off!

Now I know that the skytee is a quirky design with some poor execution, but this seems mad. I would have expected the bearing surface on this side to be flat faces with a teflon washer like the other side. The obvious place would be between the grey cylinder which holds the spur gear and the white housing, but when assembled theres about a 4mm gap there.

Is this right?

IMAG1174.jpg

Capture1.JPG

That's definitely not right, I just checked mine and there is no friction on that surface and there is a small gap:

image.jpeg

I have not taken it apart to that degree, so cannot say for sure what the problem may be. If you get no joy from anyone else, I may be able to take apart to have a look, but it might not happen for a few days!

I believe @johninderby did some serious mods to his Skytee at some point, so me worth dropping him a PM.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'm in contact with John, and he agrees its not right. In the meantime, if anyone has a photo matching the view in the first photo above, but showing the bearing itself, I'd be most grateful.

Archived