Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters

Physopto

I am not entirely sure where to post this but if necessary I am sure  a Moderator will shift it. Some time ago when looking for reviews of Narrow band filters I came across this. It may even have been here somewhere.

https://www.reddit.com/r/astrophotography/comments/2lp2ed/astrodon_3nm_ha_vs_baader_7nm_ha_full_moon_red/

Thought it quite interesting.

Derek

On 6/4/2016 at 17:02, Physopto said:

am not entirely sure where to post this but if necessary I am sure  a Moderator will shift it. Some time ago when looking for reviews of Narrow band filters I came across this. It may even have been here somewhere.

https://www.reddit.com/r/astrophotography/comments/2lp2ed/astrodon_3nm_ha_vs_baader_7nm_ha_full_moon_red/

Thought it quite interesting.

Derek

That an interesting article Derek,  which I'm taking as further justification for my 3nm Astrodon purchase :happy11:

Whilst they are not "moon proof" I've found that a very good technique for maximising DSO imaging efficiency, is to use the filters in conjunction with ACP's "moon up" facility. This takes into account the phase of the moon and the angle between the moon and the object. If the object is greater than a certain angle, then ACP allows the image to the taken. Apparently, the algorithm was developed by the University of Berkeley's astronomical department, it's also a feature of CCDNavigator (now ACP Expert compatible), which I use to plan my imaging sessions. 

Alan

Hi Alan,

I did not know about the ACP "Moon Up " program. I have ACP but only tested it so far under simulation conditions. Worked so well that's why I paid for it. But need to get other things just right before proceeding any further. Have you got the full suite that is ACP and Scheduler?

Derek

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

Hi Alan,

I did not know about the ACP "Moon Up " program. I have ACP but only tested it so far under simulation conditions. Worked so well that's why I paid for it. But need to get other things just right before proceeding any further. Have you got the full suite that is ACP and Scheduler?

Derek

Hi Derek

Yes - I have the full suite eg ACP and Scheduler which is called ACP Expert.  The Scheduler part of ACP Expert allows you to apply lots of different constraints to your imaging acquisition process. One of these constraints is the "Moon up" (aka Moon Avoidance) constraint, discussed above. So, if you want you can program your scope to (say) acquire multiple targets per night but only when they are above your local horizon, more than a certain angular distance away from the moon and near to the meridian.  So, if you are thinking of going down the automated route I'd definitely recommend that you also evaluate the Schedular part.  After doing this, I'd also suggest you trial CCDNavigator since it is now compatible with ACP Expert - this greatly simplifies the process of using ACP Expert since it will automatically construct observing plans for you via a few mouse clicks. It is also an excellent planning tool.  

Alan

Thanks Alan.

I do know about Scheduler and some bits of what it can do but nothing major. I am leaving buying it  until I get all my stuff exactly as I want it. Got to move house first! Scotland here I come if it things go to plan. The extra £600 or so is in the pocket until I need the facilities.

Don't even have an obsy yet, been putting it off until after the move. Built the base then changed my mind.

Thanks for the extra info. I like Schedulers ability to predict which of your targets are now, or will be in the correct position and thjen chop and change without your input.  Great idea. The web interface is so easy to use.

Derek

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

Thanks Alan.

I do know about Scheduler and some bits of what it can do but nothing major. I am leaving buying it  until I get all my stuff exactly as I want it. Got to move house first! Scotland here I come if it things go to plan. The extra £600 or so is in the pocket until I need the facilities.

Don't even have an obsy yet, been putting it off until after the move. Built the base then changed my mind.

Thanks for the extra info. I like Schedulers ability to predict which of your targets are now, or will be in the correct position and thjen chop and change without your input.  Great idea. The web interface is so easy to use.

Derek

Derek

Yes I really do like ACP + Scheduler. One more thing to consider, if you eventual do decide to let ACP/Scheduler control your opening and closing of your future obsy roof then you need to ensure that the weather sensor is ACP compatible. If your in the market for a ROR obsy I'd also recommend the offering from Ian King Imaging which comes with options for an electric roof and an ACP compatible weather sensor.  It's also built to a very high quality.

Alan

I bought an Aurora Cloud sensor a few months ago. Not sure now if it will be compatible! I think it is but time will tell on that one. I intend building my own dome but that is another story :p

Derek

Archived