Flocking my Dob

rockystar

After seeing a few threads recently about flocking Newtonians, I've decided to do mine. I've read a few threads that seem to have convinced me it's a good idea, even if a little scary having to basically dismantle the tube.

It's an 8" Skywatcher dobsonian, so I've ready that I should take the mount bits off, these are bolted on through the tube so when re-attaching, the bolt will need to go through the flock, so here's the question: What's the best way to cut the holes through the flock? Is it to just ignore the holes until I've finished and then cut a slot with a knife and poke the bolt through?

I've also read/been told that it's also a good idea to blacken the back of the secondary, so I was going to doing that at the same time, while the secondary is off. I've got a Script Bullet Tip Permanent Marker - is this a suitable tool?

I would scalpel the holes upon re-assembly -  a simple cross cut should suffice, don't forget to treat the internal nuts with a matt blackboard paint or similar?

Flocking is still an option/thought process for my scope?
I  think my Dob-tent and a snood gave some visual improvement, but more than likely, the simple fact of actually shielding my eyes from man-made light sources  provided the real improvement, You just cant beat a darker site

I found that flocking my 10" Sky-Watcher Newtonian was well worth the effort and my article on doing the job which was published in Sky at Night magazine, I got some great feedback on how effective it was.

Ignore the holes and cut through them after applying the flocking material which has an adhesive backing - just use a slim craft knife to cut the holes on completion.

Be extremely careful to ensure that you don't put any of your black marker over the edge onto the mirror - you could use strips of flock material to blacken the rear of the secondary.

You don't need to do the whole tube. The area of the tube opposite the end of the focusser and around 10 inches or so around inside of the tube the where the mirror is are the critical areas.

Saying that, I did my 12" dob and could see no difference at all but maybe Orion Optics blacken the inside of their scopes quite well to begin with ?

......as John points out,  you only really need to do some of the scope to dampen down any light from reflecting/bouncing down the OTA.

Have you seen the new Skywatcher Stargate scopes, they cant be flocked, can they? but they would need a coat, wrap to have the same effect.

You won't know if flocking works unless you try it. That's the crux of the matter, though it should look nice. Also consider how to clean inside once flocked, not easy to get a Dyson in there!

1 minute ago, Charic said:

Also consider how to clean inside once flocked, not easy to get a Dyson in there!

someone suggested a lint roller, I was going to get one of those too, pretty sure Wilkos will have one of them for a quid.

Archived