Eye of Mars 30/5/16

mikeDnight

Very good and reasonably steady seeing allowed a decent observation to be made of the eye of mars ( Solis Lacus ) region, (lower left quadrant).

It took about 20 minutes to eat out all the detail as there was a bit of a wobble on due to the atmosphere. I've attached last night's observation as well as the previous nights observation for comparison. The seeing on the 29th was more turbulent!

Takahashi FC100DC @ ×148. The image is mirror reversed as a prism diagonal was used.

S=2 Antoniadi, CM=64.95°, D~ 18.5" arc, Tilt ~ +12°

Mike ?

2016-05-31 08.27.59.jpg

2016-05-31 08.29.07.jpg

Excellent Mike :icon_biggrin:

I was observing Mars last night with my Tak FC100DL but somewhat later than when your sketch was made - around 11:00 pm. I could see a number of dark markings and lighter areas but not the levels of detail that you have captured. You are a fine observer ! :icon_biggrin:

3 hours ago, John said:

Excellent Mike :icon_biggrin:

I was observing Mars last night with my Tak FC100DL but somewhat later than when your sketch was made - around 11:00 pm. I could see a number of dark markings and lighter areas but not the levels of detail that you have captured. You are a fine observer ! :icon_biggrin:

Hi John,

I also observed Mars a second time around midnight in the hope of getting an even better view, but it was not to be. Although Mars was higher and in steady air it didn't reveal the level of detail I'd seen earlier. Whether I'd just managed to get Mars earlier in a sweet spot I'm not sure. Planetary observing is a bit of a strange thing I think. When you think everything should be just right, the view is rubbish. Then when you think it will be rubbish, it knocks your socks off! I don't pretend to understand it really, but thanks for your kind comments. I'm certain when nature allows it, your beautiful DL will blow your mind.

Mike :happy11:

2 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

I've been following you recent sketches of the red planet and felt I really must post my appreciation of this and your previous posts.

Well done.

Thankyou Alan. It's nice to know my sketches are being enjoyed by other observers. 

Mike :smile:

Archived