Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any ideas what this is..?

I've just finished editing a photo of M39, and have spotted a strange red object at the top-right, near the border. I can't work out what it is. It's very small. Perhaps a planetary nebula? Or maybe an error introduced in the processing? Astrometry.net didn't highlight it, alas. I think it's somewhere between M39 and the Cocoon Nebula.

It's bugging me, so any help identifying it would be appreciated!

M39 in template JPG.jpg

It looks very much to me like a stacked hot pixel to be honest. 

There are plenty of small and unlisted 'features' out there, but they don't normally glow as red as that. Take a good look at each individual exposure and see if you can identify a pattern.

To make it easier to see, here they are oriented the same way. Astrometry normally finds the known things. When I eventually get round to mounting my SCT again, i'll take a deep image of this at long focal length, f14 or f20 and see what shows up.

Nice find, well spotted :) 

M39a.jpg

M39b.jpg

I dont use astrometry very often, can't help you with that i'm afraid.

Cartes du ciel lists the Pk objects, so I just found a close one to M39, found an image of it, then overlaid using Registar.

I love stuff like this, most of my imaging these days is just taking very deep exposures and then just enjoying the really faint stuff :) Must get round to making some final images out of it all one of these days :p

Archived