NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ive checked out the synscan handset manual pdf and googled for info but can't seem to find anything.  I know the supatrack handset allows tracking of objects in the nights sky, but does anyone know if it's possible to track using the synscan goto handset.  If it is, can someone please explain how.  Thank you in advance.

Well yes you can track, if you have a synscan on an equatorial mount. You have to polar align the mount and then you do your process of alignment stars and then your good to go with slewing to your objects. Once the synscan is pointed on the object, it will automatically start tracking and then you do not have to worry about the object drifting out of the fov. On an altaz mount you will have to keep re aligning your mount to keep the object in the fov. On an altaz mount it doesn't matter if it has a synscan or not, it will not be able to track.

Hope this helps,

Seb

OK - that should work.

On the Setup menu you should find an option called "Tracking". It will have the options "Sidereal", " Solar", "Lunar" and "Stop Tracking". When you initialise the mount it will default to "Stop Tracking". Scroll to the option you want: "Sidereal" for everything except the Sun and the Moon or Solar or Lunar for those objects and press Enter when the correct option is displayed. Bingo! Your mount will now be tracking in the selected mode :wink:

1 hour ago, Galatic Wanderer said:

Well yes you can track, if you have a synscan on an equatorial mount. You have to polar align the mount and then you do your process of alignment stars and then your good to go with slewing to your objects. Once the synscan is pointed on the object, it will automatically start tracking and then you do not have to worry about the object drifting out of the fov. On an altaz mount you will have to keep re aligning your mount to keep the object in the fov. On an altaz mount it doesn't matter if it has a synscan or not, it will not be able to track.

Hope this helps,

Seb

I have a Skywatcher 130P on an alt/az mount with synscan and my mount tracks automatically.

4 minutes ago, Yamez said:

I have a Skywatcher 130P on an alt/az mount with synscan and my mount tracks automatically.

I have Synscan on my Az-EQ6 GT and when in Az mode it defaults to no tracking. It obviously behaves differently for different mounts but the bottom line is it doesn't need EQ to track :wink:

It does track - I assume that you are not intending to do an alignment ?? - but it is not overly simple.

You have the point it North and have it all Level, this has to be accurate as everything is dependant on it.

If you do a 2 or 3 (is there there a 1) star alignment then it should track anyway. Without the alignment I think you have to select to Skip the alignment and then select a Tracking Rate from the menu tree, when you do this the scope assumes it is in the Home/Default position and tracks at the selected rate. You need to do this if tracking the sun, as alignment stars are not overly visible during the day.

Reason is that if you do no 2 or 3 star alignment the scope cannot apply the correct Alt and Az motor drive so it does not drive at all. By you manually telling it to track it makes the assumption of the starting position and so calculates what the correct drive should be.

In the Synscan manual it is Page 6 Easy Tracking Mode. You do ned to enter your location, Date, Time, Timezone and whatever else.

I have a SW NEQ 6 eq mount for various scopes and a SW 12 inch GoTo Dob. Both track beautifully. They will both keep the object in the EP very well. To differentiate between them, you will need an eq mount if you want to do long exposure Astro photography otherwise you will get "field rotation". 

In both cases I find alignment very easy (takes about 2-3 mins). The only difference is that the eq mount has to be polar aligned (and scope balanced) first. With the Dob, I think you only need to start at the home position if you've switched on the dual encoder (which is an ingenious system for the mount to keep track of where its pointing even if you move the scope in altitude and/or azimuth manually). 

Archived