Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Summer Triangle, hurray!!!

Summer nights are notoriously short at this latitude but packed full of wonders like the Milky Way, nebulae, globs, galaxies, you name it!  I had a short session with the bins at 3am before the dawn's early light and took in a few nice views despite a fairly bright moon.  (One good thing about the ecliptic being so low is the moon is kept away from the zenith.............sadly this also is keeping Saturn and Mars down low too).

Cygnus was a treat and though the Milky Way wasn't possible because of the moon, a sweep from Deneb to Albireo and all around was full of glittering starfields.  With the 10x50's Albireo can be split which is nice!  I love the area around Sadr as it is jam packed and intend to focus on this with the big frac in weeks to come.   What surprised me most though, was being able to pick out Andromeda even with a little light coming from the east giving a limiting magnitude of 4 or 5 I think.  The core was unmistakeable and pleased I picked that up.  The Garnet Star was a lovely deep red in comparison with the brilliance of Vega.   Cassiopeia is swinging around again providing that nice trail of targets between it and Cygnus along the galactic plane. 

Hope others got the same chance,

Clear Skies!

Just a window from 12-1.30. To see the Summer Triangle from a dark site is a wonder of summer into autumn. In addition to the clusters , it's a kicking off ground for M27, Delphinus and Sagitta. Naturally these are vey enjoyable in a proper scope !

Clear skies !

Nick.

Archived