Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Calling lunar experts. Did I find what I was looking for?

Expat_tony

After three years of seeing the moon as my enemy, I recently tried lunar astronomy as the alternative to DSO observing during the brighter half of the lunar month.

I've bought a 5mm ED eyepiece to give me 195x in good quality, and it's been a revelation. I now make time for the moon from Day 1 to about Day 17

It didn't take me long to discover the Lunar 100 as a great learning tool, and now I'm getting to the more ambitious end of the list (though why Gylden Valley is down at #92, I can't understand).

Anyway, the question in my title concerns #97, the Inghirami Valley near the southern limb. Here's a crude image of what I saw 1 day before full moon this month. Inghirami crater was fully illuminated but easily visible. Did I identify the valley correctly?

Inghirami.png

I'm no expert but I'd say so... yes, it's not an area I've spent a lot of time on personally but your sketch looks accurate.. If you can remember, the notch at the valley head is a crater called Bouvard "G", and you should have just picked up on Inghirami "C" between vallis Inghirami and Baade..

Enjoy the lunar 100, you know there is a luna 100 - 200 list as well..?

Happy Gazing

Fozzie

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm not sure most of the Lunar 100-200 are within the scope of my scope, but thanks for the tip, and I'll keep chasing the first 100.

Here's hoping for a clear night with the terminator right.

Archived