New eyepiece

Fey

Having had my scope for nearly 6 months now it is time to start getting some better eyepieces.  At the moment most of my observing is the moon and planets, rather than stars and DSOs etc.

Having looked on the FLO website I have seen either the Skywatcher UWA Planetary eyepiece and the Vixen NPL eyepiece.  I have a Heritage 100p scope and will be looking for a 4, 5 or 6mm ep.

Does anyone have any experience of either of the EPs, especially in a fast scope, as I am not sure which to go for.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Fey.

My kids have the 4mm SkyWatcher UWA (58°) Planetary, which performs quite respectably in both their 4.5" F/4.3 mini-Dob, and in my 80mm F/6 refractor. It may not be a Pentax XW, but for the money I paid, it is pretty decent. It is certainly a step up from a cheap Barlow + 10mm solution. It also has much better eye relief than any Plössl of the same focal length, which obviously includes the Vixen NPL design.

I too have a Heritage 100p. The optical quality of mine was rather poor until I got someone to refigure the mirror. You might benefit from taking a sober look at the quality -it may be that mine was a dud and yours is good, or it may not.

The 10mm eyepiece supplied is not very good in my opinion. I have heard others say the same. You might consider getting another 10mm eyepiece of better quality -especially if the mirror turns out not to be great.

It is a hard call as it depends on some unknowns. It might be a good plan to find someone who has some very good eyepieces so you can find out what is really possible. My refigured mirror goes well with a 4.5mm Delos where it can just split the components of the Double-double (epsilon Lyrae) -but that is an eyepiece that cost more than the telescope even if you include the cost of refiguring!

I have probably made your decision harder rather than easier so good luck!

BTW, which side of London are you?

Thanks for the replies.

Sporadic Dobstronomer - I'm just outside London, in Rainham Essex.  I don't think the optical quality of is too bad, even if it isn't perfect.  With the eyepieces and barlow that came with the scope I have been able to get good views of Jupiter and its moons.  I have been able to pick out a couple of bands, so it probably ok.  Haven't really tried splitting doubles at the moment, as I am more interested in planet watching.

I think Michael is right.

The Vixen NPL plossls are excellent in longer focal lengths (15mm or longer), but like any plossl the eye relief at the short focal length is not good, even if you don't wear glasses (I don't for observing).

The TS Planetary range are decent quality optically, very much more comfortable to use, and good value for money.

Dave

Archived