Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M 13, Markarians chain and Heart Nebula with DSLR and 80mm scope. Three for the price of one!

This is M 13 from last night. 28 X 5min, iso 800, UHC filter, DSS, Photoshop. Its not the best FOV for a cluster... but I quite like it anyway!

M 13.jpg

This is Markarians Chain from a week or so ago. More a test than a serious image as seeing wasn't that good and only managed an hours subs. 13 X 5 min, iso 1600, LP filter, DSS, Pixinsighht LE and Photoshop. 

Markarian with own flat for posting.jpg

Finally, this is a reprocess of the Heart nebula originally posted a couple of weeks ago:-

I took a bit of a liberty with the colour balance and changed the colour of the ventricles but think it looks OK. :dontknow:

Heart redone.jpg

I cant see me doing any more imaging for a while now as moon is up and the astro dark time is being squeezed away fast. Clear skies... :hello:

34 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Nice images, all three. The first two seem to have a slight pink tone to them. A possible colour balance issue?

I was just working on reducing the yellow stars in M 13's star field and adjusted the colour balance a tad, but I can't detect a pink tinge, more a yellowish hue. Anyway here it is without outlying bright yellow stars ans a little HLVG!

M 13 redone.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great images Tim, I particularly like the Heart.

Which UHC filter are you using if you don't mind me asking?

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Castell UHC but I'm unsure whether its bandpass is narrow enough to shoot with the moon up.

1 hour ago, Brent said:

Great images Tim, I particularly like the Heart.

Which UHC filter are you using if you don't mind me asking?

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Castell UHC but I'm unsure whether its bandpass is narrow enough to shoot with the moon up.

Hi Brent, Its a UHC filter from Astro Market in Belgium. Much cheaper than the UHC C from Baader and seems to do the job.

I think it was this one, though I remember it being their own make. It doesn't have 'optolong' on it.

https://www.astromarket.org/filters-en-filterwielen-5/photographic---contrast-5/48mm-2-5/premium-uhc-filter-125184079-5

Its no good for shooting when the moon is up. As far as I know, only narrowband will do for that!

Archived