NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1396

halli

Hi

Took advantage of the unbelievable series of clear nights recently - at least three !- to try out narrowband for the first time.   IC1396 was one of the first emission targets to come into view early in the dark period from my location.  I took around 32 x 1000s light frames and about 16 x 600s each of R,G, and B using a 130pds and a 383l with Baader filters

The Ha version is shown below it has been stacked in DSS an had some initial processing in PI - just DBE applied and stretched

IC1396_130pdscc_383_nodarks_Ha_moredata_dss_DBE_hist.jpg

I am new to narrowband imaging and I thought I would simply  apply this to the RGB processed broadband image as a luminance.  

I wanted to take full advantage of the detail contained in the narrowband.  However there appears to be a number of ways of doing this ! eg apply directly to the red channel and also to use an algorithm created by a guy called Vincent Peris !  

Any advice for the processing from you experienced narrowbanders on the best way to combine Ha and RGB using PI would be greatly appreciated !

Hi there.  Yes I must admit it is a tad counter intuitive to apply DBE to nebulosity when most of the time you are avoiding putting the DBE points any where near it!  

I thought I would apply it throughout the whole area of the image and see what happened !  It appeared to work ok as far as I could tell, although with narrowband I did not appear to have any nasty gradients to get rid of so the affect wasn't as dramatic as usual.

I just used the conventional way of applying it apart from ensuring the DBE points were covering the complete image

Archived