Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Building my diy Observatory.

ribuck

I was thinking that i could maybe use some wide conveyor type rollers, and install in u shaped frame, with enough of a lip so that the wooden ring would sit on top of the rollers and inbetween the lips, keeping it's position true, with some spring loaded bearings.

I'm sure i'll devise something clever, just wish i had f thought about it during building. Unfortunately i looked at maplins site and they didn't have conveyor rollers like RS.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of automating the dome, i already have a few idea's, lucky i'm a computer engineer and majored in electronics which comes in handy.

:oops: oops,

i was thinking if building a dome obs, at some point in the future. you see my gran parents own a farm out in the country and my mum and dad stay in the cottage nearby.

i have made the pier and now i am going to find the best spot to put it. near the cottage would be good though i am begining to wonder if i put it far way from the farm then how well protected it would be.

this has turned my thing to a shed or something that will not draw attention to itself. plus if it goes into the field then it will need to be Animal proof i.e. cows can be quiet destructive.

that said if i put it out in the field then it will be under godd dark skies and will be able to look in every direction without trees or building being in the way.

how robust is your obs should someone try to get in?

ally

Hi Ally,

I't pretty solid, timber on the outside and inside, so the only way they would really get in is by crow-barring the door open. Mine is alarmed, so as soon as the door opened the alarm would trigger. At the end of the day it's always a risk, but that's what insurance is for.

• 7 years later...

I like your idea for your dome. Great pictures of your build. However, you stated you used PVC Cladding for the dome rotation ring because it was easy to bend. Probably a great idea. But in case somebody else wanted to adopt your idea, you forgot to provide a picture of the type and style of PVC Cladding you used for the dome rotation ring or explain how you bent it without it kinking on you. can you please provide a picture of the Cladding and an explanation of how you bent it? - Oh by the way -  the reason I'm asking is, I need to rebuild my original dome and I am not too thrilled about having to cut out and replace all of those plywood pieces for the Dome ring and the support ribs - That was a lot of time-consuming work, even the first time and I am not looking forward to doing it again, So I am highly considering your design for a replacement dome. - Thank You sir.

Love the dome, I'm jealous, as it wouldn't be practical to put an observatory in my garden (houses too close)    Just one thought, do you get lots of shake from your tripod?   A possibly solution to that would be to install a pier through the floor.  That way your scope would stay set like rock even with your moving around it.

I'm wondering if it's possible to make something that senses where the scope is pointing, then have the turret rotate to match it's position.  Not quite sure how it would work, possibly a wide beam that comes off the side of the scope and hits sensors in the dome, the dome then rotates to keep the been matched with a given sensor.   Just thinking out loud here, there might be a better solution.  My thought is having the roof position stuff operating as it's own thing, rather than tying up with Ascom or anything like that.

Archived