NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mono DSLR vs mono ccd

matt-c

Im massively tempted to switch from my atik 16hr to a mono DSLR ......i know right? :huh:

Im trying to rationalise it in my head but all it comes down to is bigger chip vs cooling.

The atik is fantastic and virtually noise free but the chip size is just killing me. 

Am i being silly here and maybe a case of the grass is greener.

Also i blame herra and the ridiculously good mono DSLR pics. :evil:

Advice, opinions, thoughts?

7 minutes ago, matt-c said:

Im massively tempted to switch from my atik 16hr to a mono DSLR ......i know right? :huh:

Im trying to rationalise it in my head but all it comes down to is bigger chip vs cooling.

The atik is fantastic and virtually noise free but the chip size is just killing me. 

Am i being silly here and maybe a case of the grass is greener.

Also i blame herra and the ridiculously good mono DSLR pics. :evil:

Advice, opinions, thoughts?

i assume you mean @Luis Campos hes such a bad influence with his mono DSLR :D  

Hi

I have a mono cooled Canon 550d and I like it a lot :) Compared to an equivalent sized ccd, it's relatively cheap, but no binning and 14 bit rather than the 16 bit you get with a ccd. Temperature is set manually via a potentiometer. The cooler has a delta of 18 deg and images can still benefit from using darks. It's great for narrowband. So far I've only used it with lenses. Here is one of the Veil nebula taken over a number of nights in April (iso 800, 27 x 360s) using a Super Takumar F4 200mm and Baader 7nm Ha, temp set to +4deg:

Veil_Ha_27x360s_dss_pn_crop.png

It's actually a work in progress and I've only stacked and processed it as if it was a colour image but I'll be putting that right soon! :)

Louise

How about second hand mono CCD with 8300 chip? The stripping off of the Bayer Matrix is a brutal business and I hear of people fighting bits and pieces of debris left behind and getting on the chip etc. 

What would you expect to pay for a second hand Atik 383? Personally that's what I'd do. It is made for astrophotography.

The other option is to shorten your focal length but your signature doesn't say what scope you use.

Olly

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

The stripping off of the Bayer Matrix is a brutal business and I hear of people fighting bits and pieces of debris left behind and getting on the chip etc.

Hi,

It can be done brutal or gently way. First leaves all kinds of residue and defects there, the second produces perfectly flat and unified field.

I would say that Matt-C should keep the Atik and have a low cost mono DSLR in parallel for the targets needing a bigger sensor. That's what I do with my gear ranging from 7x5mm sensor to a full frame 36x24mm.

Small chip to have more reach:

03052016_E.jpg

And larger to get more FOV:

Veil_Ha_pieni.jpg

Scope is the same in both.

10 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Louise that's a fantastic picture!! I too will be using it for narrowband, but the camera I've seen does not have cooling and I've battled thermal noise before to not much avail.

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly sorry i should update my signature, the mobile version doesn't show it so i always forget. The 383 looks the buiseness but a fair bit more and i have a feeling requires 2 inch filters ? My current scope is a 150pds and im trying a wide field setup with a 200mm takumar but its so undersampled. 

Herra i think your right but those pictures you keep posting convince me other wise :evil:

4 hours ago, matt-c said:

Louise that's a fantastic picture!! I too will be using it for narrowband, but the camera I've seen does not have cooling and I've battled thermal noise before to not much avail.

Olly sorry i should update my signature, the mobile version doesn't show it so i always forget. The 383 looks the buiseness but a fair bit more and i have a feeling requires 2 inch filters ? My current scope is a 150pds and im trying a wide field setup with a 200mm takumar but its so undersampled. 

Herra i think your right but those pictures you keep posting convince me other wise :evil:

Hi

Thanks! There's more nebulosity in Herra's pic though he's in cold, dark Finland rather than light polluted and wet Glasgow! I might have to wait until next year to add any more data to mine.
I got my camera from Luis Campos - had to wait a while for it but I'm a patient person :)

Louise

Archived