Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focuser shift?

I have had the new scope running all night (OK, 2300-0300) for the last two nights. both mornings I found the subs to have degenerated into rather less-well focussed images than I hoped for. At first I thought I had my first telescope that suffered from severe focus drift due to temperature change...but the temperature only changed 3-4 degrees maximum over the course of the sessions.

Then I found out about the SubFrameSelector in PI and I managed to do some simple analysis:

Attached is a graph of the FWHMs of my subs from the last two nights. I got the initial focus better on the second night (another story!), but both show almost constant de-focusing drift over the course of the night.

I now suspect the focuser is slowly unwinding.

What do you guys think? Am I right?

Iris Ghost two nights FWHM.png

This is why I like my Heath Robinson tangent arm microfocuser, which you might remember. It puts the micro back into micro and prevents slippage. It is also a partiularly beautiful piece of fine engineering worthy of Cartier's the jewellers, as you an see (if not wearing your glasses...) Ahem.

MICROFOCUS1-L.jpg

On the other half of the tandem is a standard Tak microfocuser. It's rubbish, I tell you!

Olly

Yep, I remember. Although I did not get a close look at it at the time. But your picture, as they say... :)

I'm just about to embark on the path of electronic focusing (diy, of course) in another small step towards full automation. Hopefully the stepper motor will keep things in check :)

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

This is why I like my Heath Robinson tangent arm microfocuser, which you might remember. It puts the micro back into micro and prevents slippage. It is also a partiularly beautiful piece of fine engineering worthy of Cartier's the jewellers, as you an see (if not wearing your glasses...) Ahem.

MICROFOCUS1-L.jpg

On the other half of the tandem is a standard Tak microfocuser. It's rubbish, I tell you!

Olly

Now that is my kind of DIY, Olly!  I bet it works a treat.  Function over form every time.

Adrian

Archived