SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking at a 5x Meade Series 5000 TeleXtender - Ultra Wide for imaging.

I currently use a 2x Barlow to achieve focus on imaging for my SW 130/900. after thinking what if i used a 3x? i asked on here and someone suggested i could even go as high as 5x for planetary work. Now im fine with spending the £90 on this but my concern is that when i upgrade my scope in a year or 2 will it become useless? Looking towards a ~200mm. In rugby terms "is there any reason i can't spend my money?"

If you go for a x5 barlow, prepare for some frustration in finding, focusing, framing. x3 would be ok. A x3 would also fit fine with an 8" imaging newt, although I have a feeling you may have other imaging interests at that point, as it is very tricky to know exactly which route you will get attracted to in this hobby. I would not recommend planning years in advance when beginning :)

21 hours ago, MattJenko said:

If you go for a x5 barlow, prepare for some frustration in finding, focusing, framing. x3 would be ok. A x3 would also fit fine with an 8" imaging newt, although I have a feeling you may have other imaging interests at that point, as it is very tricky to know exactly which route you will get attracted to in this hobby. I would not recommend planning years in advance when beginning :)

Other imaging interests? Because it's bigger are you thinking more dso? Hence no need for high magnification  

I'll admit DSO are where I like to go but I lack the skill currently to find and image any (might cheat and next scope will have auto-finding capabilities) or it might be I was using the 2x Barlow that came with the t-ring and have only recently discovered not using it. . So I'm practicing with a bit of planetary/lunar. 

Archived