Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC6888 - In H-alpha

CKemu

26656169641_849af82512_c.jpg
NGC6888 - The Crescent in Cygnus by Chris Kennedy, on Flickr

Imaged last night (well mostly this morning), from my garden in Mansfield, England. April has been shocking here, with clouds, rain, snow, sleet, wind and the occasional snow-thunderstorm - yeeesh, here's hoping it clears up for May 9th's transit of Mercury, booked time of work for that!

This image wasn't shot under the best of conditions, indeed about 15 minutes before I set up it rained and there was plenty of cloud about when I drift aligned, but it mostly cleared with some periodic high hazy cloud and 9-11mph gusts of wind made my OAG work a little harder.

Shot using my Meade LX90 8" SCT, f/6.3 focal reducer, Baader H-alpha filter and ATIK414ex.

24*600s subs (4 hours), binned 1x1, camera set to -17c, stacked in DSS, levels and unsharp mask applied in Photoshop.

First time ever imaging this object, couldn't see it through the eyepiece, but it was low when I looked and light pollution is bad in my suburban environment, if I get a clear night soon, want to do this object using my OIII filter, might me more visible through OIII to.

So glad Cygnus is rising, it's my favourite summer constellation.

Archived