Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi all,

lim wanting to upgrade the focuser on my Celestron nexstar 130slt, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the one in the photo would fit? If not could anyone recommend one that would work. I'm very happy with the 130slt but think the focuser lets it down a bit.All advice welcomed.

thanks. Gareth

image.jpeg

Just now, Gazmill said:

Hi all,

lim wanting to upgrade the focuser on my Celestron nexstar 130slt, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the one in the photo would fit? If not could anyone recommend one that would work. I'm very happy with the 130slt but think the focuser lets it down a bit.All advice welcomed.

thanks. Gareth

image.jpeg

The focuser in the photo is for sale on Astroboot and is from a Skywatcher if that helps

Does the SLT have a rack and pinion focuser?

Have you tried adjusting and cleaning it? 

The factory can often be a bit over-zealous with the grease.

If yours is R&P, the SW Crayford would be an improvement.

However, the SW says it's from a Flexitube which start at 8", so I doubt it'd fit.

Hi bing evader,

yes it is a rack and pinion focuser, I have stripped it, cleaned of the factory grease and replaced it with ptfe grease. Whilst it was stripped down I replaced the plastic strips the focus body slides on for strips of ptfe, this has helped a bit but to tighten it enough for there to be no play leaves it a bit to tight to move it in/out freely.

re the SW crayford, I was hoping even though it is for an 8" that I could make some type of gasket to get it fitting to my tube.

regards.

Gareth

Archived