Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ED80 Focus with F/R

I have a ED80 scope and I'm wanting to use my 6.3 focal reducer but when all the imaging kit is together I cannot achieve focus, I need to go further in to achieve focus. The set up is a filter wheel SX 695 Camera and the gap between the F/R and CCD sensor is about 120mm. Has anyone have any experience in using the 6.3 F/R Celestron with the ED80, Could I even cut down the ED80 tube down by a few mm to achieve the focus.

Im not sure its worth butchering your 80ED to use that reducer as the corrected field you get wont be large enough. Unless you can find some images that prove it works, Its probably better to get the matched 0.85x reducer as its the only way to be sure of a good field.

You need to take the images in context with the camera used, and a fair bit of pixel peeping. They were taken with a 16HR, which is a pretty small chip compared to yours - and if you inspect the corners of most of the quoted images in that thread, they arent up to scratch. In fact, they wouldnt even make it off my PC (sounds harsh, but im telling it like it is... though I am a bit of a corner freak...lol).

If I were you, I'd wait until I find a "wow" image using that setup before taking a hacksaw anywhere near a telescope. Perhaps another approach would be to replace the focuser with something a bit shorter. But for the moment, there are too many unknown variables and no certainty that it will work.

Archived