Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double Star Maps

Hello all. I have been meaning to do this for ages so now I have, I have no excuses for not getting out under the stars. (other than the weather) :grin:

I have created an updated XLS directory and printable Telrad maps of 60 double stars. The directory is editable so you can sort it how you like but it is currently ordered per constellation. The map names are as per column A and they are screen shots from Stellarium with colour alterations to make them useable under a red torch. One map covers two sets of doubles from Scorpius other than that, they all have individual maps.

This is based upon viewing from Manchester (UK) so adjustments need making if you are based elsewhere. Also Ignore the date stamp, I was fiddling around with dates around to get the screenshots made.

If anyone has any other doubles that I have missed (Northern hemisphere only please, sorry), please can you message me as I want to keep updating this so its comprehensive.

Have fun with them.  :thumbsup:

Telrad maps.zip

Coloured Stars.xls

Nice!

How did you come up with the lists? This morning I was double star spotting, and found about 3 in Hercules alone that aren't on your list. I go through the back of the Cambridge double star atlas, and when I see a pair both under M8 and with a split of over 1.5", I mark it on the atlas pages (and make a note of the distance between them). It gives about 4-5 on average per constellation.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort, those telrad charts look really useful.

54 minutes ago, Joe12345 said:

Nice!

How did you come up with the lists? This morning I was double star spotting, and found about 3 in Hercules alone that aren't on your list. I go through the back of the Cambridge double star atlas, and when I see a pair both under M8 and with a split of over 1.5", I mark it on the atlas pages (and make a note of the distance between them). It gives about 4-5 on average per constellation.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort, those telrad charts look really useful.

I gleaned the list from other lists actually. But if you have a link to the one you are using, it would be good to have it so I can further u

pdate this and make more telrad charts :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Joe12345 said:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/the-cambridge-double-star-atlas-2nd-edition.html

Not sure whether they do an online edition.

The charts are very good as well and don't just include doubles, so it would make a good general atlas.

did not actually know there was an atlas out there, should have guessed really. Anyway, I enjoy making the telrad maps so may look into it, thanks.

Archived