NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ8 Set-Up: I really need help

hughgilhespie

Hi,

Oh the embarassment! I have to admit that I am struggling with setting up my EQ8 mount. Although I have owned it for over a year I haven't really used it in anger as I have been concentrating on automating my observatory. Now I am at the exciting stage of actually wanting to use a telescope and I don't know where to start.

So, what I would like is some help on the absolute basic steps to set up the mount. I want to set it up so that I am using EQMOD and CDC only, no other programs. I do have the Skywatcher handset but would prefer not to use this if at all possible. Really, really basic instructions would be ideal. 

The starting point is that  I have a Megrez 90 with a finder on the mount, reasonably balanced  but with the clutches loose so I have no idea where it is pointing. 

Both the main scope and the finder have illuminated graticule eyepieces.

The finder scope was aligned with the main scope some months ago but may not be anymore.

With the scope in the observatory I can't see any distant objects so aligning the finder scope isn't straitforward.

The mount itself is roughly polar aligned. OK - very roughly.

A lot of my confusion is about the encoders in the mount, do I need to switch these off or not and if so, how?

I did read on here some time ago a very clear step by step guide to getting going with this set up but foolishly I didn't save it and my searches haven't found it again - hence my asking or help.

Regards, Hugh

Hi Hugh, I use an eq8 with Eqmod and ccd, along with phd2.

1st off, I can tell you that they all work together very well but it's not as simple as "simple basic instruction"

i feel the best approach is to PM me with specific questions as you approach them!

ive not looked at the video posted by Gina, it may offer all you need but if not I will certainly guide through the set up!

i run a portable set up so I'm very familiar with my equipment.

however as a 1 st or initial step, I suggest that you make sure you are using all the latest software updates, that it the Eq8 driver phd2 and CDC, 

i assume that you want to image, and that you are using a laptop to connect to the mount with usb2 or later?

Ray

Ps ....forgive me Hugh, I've just re read your post and I see that you don't want to use PHD, that's o.k I can still take you through the eq8 set up.

Archived