SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Idle Fellows Guide to Astrophotography.

Cloudwatcher

An unexpected break in the cloud? Don't have time or can't be bothered to set up your gear?

If you have a DSLR this may be the answer.

Place the camera on a flatish surface with the lens pointing in the general direction of up and using a remote shutter release pop off a few shots.

Course,like me,you may have no idea what you are taking but it sure is the ultimate in hassle free imaging. :grin:

Here's a few from last night taken with a 450D.......... All at f5.6,ISO 400,the first two,8 sec. exposures with the lens at 200 mm. the third 6 secs. @ 145mm. The picture style was set at 'Standard' which according to handbook gives "Vivid color and sharp images".

Well, vivid they are if nothing else. :lol:

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

Thanks for the info themos, most helpful! :salute:

Wow, lots of stars for the length of time and an interesting way of catching them. What lens do you have CW?

A Canon 90-300 zoom lens was the one used. Pretty good allrounder for variable widefield stuff.

Can't say I like the output from the 'Standard' picture style setting for astro images though,just a tad too colourful. :grin:

Through binoculars I'd say 95 % of the stars in the areas framed appear white to me, and the others of pastel shades, not all the colours of the rainbow. :lol:

Cheers

CW

I am sure you have found the Constellation of "Up" there CW.

Interesting that you get such nice images whilst pouring a cold beer, having a fag and scratching your b*m. Certainly beats drift alignment, guiding etc. :grin:

Actually, joking apart, I may try just what you did some time - there are plenyf stars up there.

Tom

Archived