North Wales Star Trail

Daniel, if I can do them, anyone can. I put together a brief guide on how to do them on my local astronomical society's website, though I suspect like many, you know what to do, it's just a case of having a go:

http://nottinghamastro.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/star-trailsnas.pdf

I think the two biggest problems are light pollution (but there are ways around this) and dew (again there are ways). If I have a go in light polluted skies I put my LP filter inside my camera, but either use a custom white balance or normalise the RGB once the images are stacked (or convert to monochrome). I now have a spare dew heater which I run of a spare battery so the lens remains just warm enough to keep dew at bay. I've yet to find a solution to badgers scratching thier ar**s on my tripod though; apparently lion dung works, but the last time I asked for this at the zoo I got thrown out... :)

James

Archived