NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

buying a new telescope

Is there a telescope that if you put in the alt and az goes to that spot. Example. ( your going around the sky you see something, what to know what your looking at. Your phone ap gives you a good idea what your seeing,

but would like to put the alt and az to make sure what I'm seeing.

Strictly the answer is "No" (I think) to what you asked.

The "No" aspect is because you asked for Alt/Az. Since Alt/Az changes all the time it is "sort of" not used. What you do is enter the RA and Dec not the Alt/Az. Now I appreciate that the scope (goto) will take the RA+Dec and convert these to a set of Alt/Az values for itself to use, since it operates in terms of Alt and Az.

As previously said most/all goto's will attempt to give an idea of what it is pointed at. They take the RA+Dec they were told to goto, add in the change made by yourself when moving manually and I assume then likely do a simple comparison of where they are pointed in RA+Dec values to the objects in their database.

I have not checked my handsets but I would also suspect they will display the RA+Dec they are pointed at and if they can not identify whatever then you could take the RA+Dec and tell something like Stellarium to display those coordinates and you would then look at that area of the sky to work out manually. So take a small notepad out with you for the ones it cannot determine, then you can do a little research afterwards if necessary.

You do have to have performed the alignment first however, and as ever the more accurate the better.

I think this is the sort of thing you are looking for:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/skyview-free-explore-universe/id413936865?mt=8

You don't need to input in the alt/az or Dec/RA - you just point your device and it can give info for what you're looking at - including coords. You can get scope mounting holders for mobile devices that enable you to align the device with the scope to make a push-to sort of system. Hth :)

Archived