Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A couple of Lunar 100 checked off

glennbech

Now that I only do visual astronomy, I tend to get a lot more astronomy done. Before, I would not bother to set up the imaging gear if the sky was not clear for the night. Now I get a lot of "opportunistic" and very efficient "hole in the clouds"  sessions. That is fantastic!

Last Tuesday was such a day, and I had a clear view of the moon for a couple of hours before the clouds rolled in. 

The air was very calm and the view through the ES 82 degree 4,7 was breathtaking. The eyepiece and the Megrez 90 team up display the entire moon at 132x magnification. That view will,  100%  - money back guaranteed, produce "ooohs and aaahs" from friends and family.  The view always makes me smirk, and go... "cool...". It's not an easy eyepiece, but rewarding and growing on me. 

First, I checked off a very easy Lunar 100 target: Fracastorius. 

I then went for a feature that I had tried and failed the day before; the Janssen rille. On Monday, the Janssen crater was practically ON the terminator. The dramatic shadows made it impossible to make out features. Tuesday,  the moon was waxing and 32% illuminated. It is a very good time for the Janssen area.  The crater, and the Rimae coming out from the crater Fabricius was easy to spot. 

The row of craters that start at Petavius; Snellius, Stevinus, Stevinus C, Rheita and Metius is a good way to find Janssen. "Crater hopping", with the software "Atlun" has proved very efficient for me. 

I finished the evening with an observation of the Cauchy region (L48). I was able to see Rupes Cauchy, but not the Rimae north of the crater. I have to go back for that later. 

I switched over to my late 60's "classic" Japanese Polarex 133. It has a 60mm objective lens and at 700mm, not very unlike my Megrez 90. To my surprise, I was able to make out Rimar Cauchy with my 6mm Zeiss Ortho just as good. It's a super fun scope with crystal crisp optics. 

I am very happy that I have taken the Lunar challenge. I did not realize how dynamic Lunar viewing is! And it is also good to have something to do when it makes deep sky observation impossible.

Thanks for reading this far :)        

As I`m Reading this report I`m still considering to take the Scope outside and have a look at Moon and Jupiter.

Tempting, but probably way to windy here on the west coast tonite.

Nice read btw :smiley:

I enjoyed reading your report and am pleased you are another lunar convert.

The lunar 100 really makes you observe our neighbour instead of just taking a quick look and moving on.

Good luck with the challenge.

Archived