Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planning a session with the family tomorrow

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great report, so pleased everyone got a buzz from observing the wonders on view.

The moon is a great object to enthuse newcomers, so much to see and enjoy. If you really get into observing the moon you might like to take a look at the Virtual Moon Atlas a free configurable map that helps to identify what you are seeing:- https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/

Keep enjoying the sky with your family and keeping us all informed about your adventures.

Thanks Mak and Astro :)  I think a RACI will definitely have to be added to the growing shopping list as it will make navigating so much easier.   Anyone got any experience of the Skywatcher 6x30 RACI?  I don't see them on the FLO site, but Rother Valley have them for £35 which isn't too expensive and should be fine to get me going I'd assume. 

I'm definitely going to have a look at that moon atlas too!  There's so many features visible on it and that small sliver we seen the other day has just whetted my appetite for more :)

I agree with Mak - a raci is invaluable - I use all 9x50's but the 6x30 is fine and probably a better option on the 130 being a bit lighter in weight - the 9x50's are a chunk and best mounted on larger scopes or counter balanced set ups. :)

I also have the 9x50 version and it's a fantastic upgrade from the straight through finder. I've also recently purchased a telrad to help with the initial orientation, but I've yet to have the opportunity to try it out - once again, this damn english weather preventing us from having our fun.

I have the Skywatcher 6x30 finder, which is not a RACI and shows things left/right mirrored. I don't like it. It is very small and I can't rotate the diagonal without rotating the whole scope and screwing up the alignment. I have ordered a fancy RACI 50mm finder, where you can freely rotate the diagonal and put in your own eyepiece. Those cost more than a 9x50 finder where you cannot rotate the diagonal freely. I would definitively go to 50mm instead of 30mm. Starhopping will be easier, because you will see more stars.

4 hours ago, Linda said:

I have the Skywatcher 6x30 finder, which is not a RACI and shows things left/right mirrored. I don't like it. It is very small and I can't rotate the diagonal without rotating the whole scope and screwing up the alignment. I have ordered a fancy RACI 50mm finder, where you can freely rotate the diagonal and put in your own eyepiece. Those cost more than a 9x50 finder where you cannot rotate the diagonal freely. I would definitively go to 50mm instead of 30mm. Starhopping will be easier, because you will see more stars.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-right-angled-magnified-finderscopes.html

This is the model I've been looking at, which I guess is different from the version you have Linda?

3 hours ago, Mak the Night said:

I'm pretty certain the Orion, Sky-Watcher, Antares and other RACI's are all from the same Pacific Rim factory. My guess is Synta, although the Celestron RACI's seem different and could be GSO or even Barsta.

Unless you want to go Stellarvue: http://www.buytelescopes.com/stellarvue-f50w2-9x50mm-optical-finder

Sorry Mak I meant that SkyWatcher do both the straight-through and right-angle finderscopes....I'm guessing Linda has the straight-through version on the link I posted.

1 minute ago, BeerMe said:

Sorry Mak I meant that SkyWatcher do both the straight-through and right-angle finderscopes....I'm guessing Linda has the straight-through version on the link I posted.

Yeah, I'm the one who should be saying sorry I think. I thought the scope in your link was an RACI but I don't think it is a Correct Image version and it gives an upright view but with a mirror reversed image as with a mirror diagonal or a non-Amici prism diagonal.

1 minute ago, Mak the Night said:

Yeah, I'm the one who should be saying sorry I think. I thought the scope in your link was an RACI but I don't think it is a Correct Image version and it gives an upright view but with a mirror reversed image as with a mirror diagonal or a non-Amici prism diagonal.

Confusing lol...I didn't realise there were so many variants.  So the scope in the link I posted isn't actually a RACI?  

I guess I'll have to be careful before jumping on a bargain when the time comes.  Cheers for alerting me to this.

1 hour ago, rockystar said:

The link has RA & RACI finders, you need to select the one you want from the drop down box. Think it was another £2-3 for the corrected image version

Oh right, I should have checked that as I'm familiar with the site. Mostly if I open links or just surf generally I disable the browser JaveScript, mainly for security, but also to make the pages open faster. Unfortunately it often disables functionality.

1 hour ago, BeerMe said:

Confusing lol...I didn't realise there were so many variants.  So the scope in the link I posted isn't actually a RACI?  

I guess I'll have to be careful before jumping on a bargain when the time comes.  Cheers for alerting me to this.

I forgot that they made right-angled finders that didn't have Amici prisms lol.

1 hour ago, rockystar said:

The link has RA & RACI finders, you need to select the one you want from the drop down box. Think it was another £2-3 for the corrected image version

Ok so Right Angled only is the correct way round but upside down, and Right Angled Erect Image is RACI (substitute Erect for Correct)?

25 minutes ago, BeerMe said:

Ok so Right Angled only is the correct way round but upside down, and Right Angled Erect Image is RACI (substitute Erect for Correct)?

I always thought that right-angled finders showed non-inverted (upright/erect) images but mirror reversed. I'm probably wrong about this though.

6 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

I always thought that right-angled finders showed non-inverted (upright/erect) images but mirror reversed. I'm probably wrong about this though.

I always thought Right-angled referred to the eyepiece being at an angle to the lens :help:

Not any more, I hasten to add lol...

12 hours ago, BeerMe said:

No, I don't have straight through. But a 90 degree angled raci where you can freely turn around the diagonal. And you need to put in your own eyepiece. Those cost about twice the price of the skywatcher raci and they are not so common. But as I really dislike the fixed diaginal (on an EQ mount where your scope is often at an awkward angle). On a Dobson I guess it doesn't matter.

The website http://www.astromarket.nl/ doesn't give direct links to articles, but the article number is APM11055, which you can put in the search field.

Archived