Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 2" extension tube

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2nd hand Explorer 200p. I can view fine with the 2"-1.25" adapter, however I just got a 2" to 1.25" self-centering adapter and thought I could just whip out the 2-1.5 adapter and substitute the new one. Except it wont focus, even at full extension. If I pull the eyepiece out a bit it comes into focus. Does anyone know if there should have been a 2" extension tube with the scope? The focuser tube has a diameter of 50mm and the 2"-1.25" adapter has a height of approx 47mm. Does anyone know where I can get a suitable replacement?

it sure is - its as if the tube wont extend far enough. An eyepiece sitting in the supplied 2-1.25 tube adaptor sits approx 50mm higher that the same eyepiece just in the self centerer (the height of the skywatcher supplied adaptor). As it's 2nd hand, I'm not even sure if it came with an extension tube originally or not (the person I got it from has no clue). I've seen adaptors on astoboot but they are for a wider tube fitting (57mm). I originally thought it was just because I was trying to focus on something too close (I was realigning the finder at the time) but tried it later on a star and got the same results. Did yours come with a 2" adaptor?

Hi Gary, I use the 2" attachment that came with my telescope, and it sits perfectly in there.  Make sure it is seated properly, mine just drops in.  However, I have the 14mm Baader FTR which fits it perfectly if required, I bought it 'just in case'.

Thanks Robin, really appreciate the effort. It confirms what I thought, I'm missing the 2" adaptor. Without it, I was fitting the centerer on the black ring. I'm assuming that your 2" adaptor is the same height as your 2-1.25 one?

Gary

Hi Gary, yes, it is the same height, but I never use it, always use the Orion.  The 200P comes with two adaptors as standard when bought new, the 2", which I always leave attached, and the 2-1.25" adaptor.  You will have to see if you can find an original adaptor.  Good luck with that.  Glad its sorted!

Archived