NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Galaxy Quest and SLL v3.0

HiloDon

Thanks, Chris.

Good to hear from you.  Haven't seen you post for a while.  

That's what the non linear scaling in Starlight Live is supposed to do.  As I wrote above, I didn't particularly like the result.  I have always had success with my color Lodestar and Ultrastar, but it just wasn't working for me with the mono LS.   Next time out I want to save a stacked fits file and send it to Martin Meredith who does wonders in getting the most out out dynamic range.  Once we have something we can start a thread because this should help many with Lodestars and Ultrastars.

Don

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An amazing gallery of galaxies Don and Brandon!

Unlike most films, the sequel to 'Galaxy Quest' is something I am definitely looking forward to.

On the subject of DPR - its still no substitute for darks as it will not eliminate bias or readout / thermal noise, only defective pixels. In general, I always advocate on planning in taking darks to the viewing session (myself I capture them when setting up the mount, prior to attaching the scope), and use DPR for the quick dart between the clouds or 'oops i forgot to take darks' moments.

1 hour ago, HiloDon said:

Thanks, Chris.

Good to hear from you.  Haven't seen you post for a while.  

That's what the non linear scaling in Starlight Live is supposed to do.  As I wrote above, I didn't particularly like the result.  I have always had success with my color Lodestar and Ultrastar, but it just wasn't working for me with the mono LS.   Next time out I want to save a stacked fits file and send it to Martin Meredith who does wonders in getting the most out out dynamic range.  Once we have something we can start a thread because this should help many with Lodestars and Ultrastars.

Don

That sounds good Don and looking forward to your results. I ask this because I am considering either a new Atik Infinity mono or SX-825 mono camera with the cooling. With the new Starlight Live that Paul is working on seems to be getting almost there. It is just the hot/warm pixels and some noise when stacking that needs to be fully resolved before I decide. I am also considering a SX-694 mono over the SX-825 mono but that will be awhile before I choose. I just got my new Atik Infinity color camera and looking forward to 1st light. If this camera does as good as I believe it will, I will probably buy a mono version for those Ha sessions.

Cheers,

Chris 

10 minutes ago, Astrogate said:

That sounds good Don and looking forward to your results. I ask this because I am considering either a new Atik Infinity mono or SX-825 mono camera with the cooling. With the new Starlight Live that Paul is working on seems to be getting almost there. It is just the hot/warm pixels and some noise when stacking that needs to be fully resolved before I decide. I am also considering a SX-694 mono over the SX-825 mono but that will be awhile before I choose. I just got my new Atik Infinity color camera and looking forward to 1st light. If this camera does as good as I believe it will, I will probably buy a mono version for those Ha sessions.

Cheers,

Chris 

Chris,

The new version 3.0 of Starlight Live has a defective pixel removal feature that can be activated during stacking.  Paul has indicated that it just removes defective pixels, but there are other fixed noises that are not removed by DPR, so darks would still be required.  The F5 galaxy images I posted had no darks and only the DPR was activated.  It worked quite well, but upon close examination there is some bias noise that causes some streaking during the stacking process.

I am thinking, too, about getting a higher res mono camera.  The one thing I fear besides the CFO is the speed loss with increased resolution.  I definitely notice it with the 825 sensor in the Ultrastar, but found that Hyperstar at F1.9 offsets the sensitivity loss.  I really like getting decent images in less than 45 seconds for outreach.  Less than 30 even better.  I may just opt for the Ultrastar M, but it would be interesting to see if the cooling on the SX-825 makes an appreciable difference.

Look forward to seeing your Infinity results.  Please post some here.  Do you have Hyperstar?  It does wonders for the 825 sensor.  A little rough on the pocketbook though.

Don

3 hours ago, HiloDon said:

Chris,

The new version 3.0 of Starlight Live has a defective pixel removal feature that can be activated during stacking.  Paul has indicated that it just removes defective pixels, but there are other fixed noises that are not removed by DPR, so darks would still be required.  The F5 galaxy images I posted had no darks and only the DPR was activated.  It worked quite well, but upon close examination there is some bias noise that causes some streaking during the stacking process.

I am thinking, too, about getting a higher res mono camera.  The one thing I fear besides the CFO is the speed loss with increased resolution.  I definitely notice it with the 825 sensor in the Ultrastar, but found that Hyperstar at F1.9 offsets the sensitivity loss.  I really like getting decent images in less than 45 seconds for outreach.  Less than 30 even better.  I may just opt for the Ultrastar M, but it would be interesting to see if the cooling on the SX-825 makes an appreciable difference.

Look forward to seeing your Infinity results.  Please post some here.  Do you have Hyperstar?  It does wonders for the 825 sensor.  A little rough on the pocketbook though.

Don

Don,

It sounds like the new software has come along way which is great. Since you use a Hyperstar I would definately go the route of a higher resolution sensor like the ICX694 or maybe even the ICX814 and you can always bin at 2 x 2 if you need more sensitivity at some resolution loss. No I do not use a Hyperstar Don. I am using an RC 10" scope that will produce a flat FOV with the 11.2 mm CCD sensor at f/3.7 which will be fast enough to make most of my DSO's in 45 seconds or less under good transparency. I will post some results on this forum and thanks again!

Cheers,

Chris

I have watched your images for like 20 times now and still i will check it again tomorrow - they are just amazing.
I am still struggling with my setup to get everything working right and can't wait to get back my longer focal length scope to get a closer look but tonight i was able to check my new addition to SLL3.0 :) SX825 with my 200/2.9 lens.
Galaxy hunt - that will be a good goal for the summer. (long exposure time just to check what i can see with quite low contrast, below 0.05)
Both without darks at all, M101 with DPR active.

M65.M66_2016.4.6_22.10.19.png

M101_2016.4.6_22.51.08.png

Archived