Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher EQ3-2 or not ?

Just bought what I thought was a Skywatcher EQ3-2, it looks a dead ringer in every way apart from no sky scan 2001 stickers and the mounting is a dovetail affair with two clamp/pinch screws. Every Skywatcher EQ3-2 mount that I can see has a mounting that requires you to bolt the OTA to the mount.

So is this a copy ?

Sorry about the link but it's become a monumental task to upload a photo.

http://ukastronomers.com/PaulG/image/6656_large.jpeg

Paul

Definitely not like my own EQ3-2 although I believe that the latest version has a dovetail clamp - the latest version also has tubular steel legs rather than rectangular section aluminium ones.

This not confirmation that you have an EQ3-2 but this info. may assist!

i have a skymax on an eq-3 and your photo looks just like mine. same pinch screw to fit the pre fitted dovetail bar on the scope. same smaller pinch screw.

i got mine from FLO so i know it is a skywatcher eq3.

It looks just like the EQ3-2 mount that my Skywatcher Mak127 came with. It does not have sky scan stickers either. It has square section aluminium legs.

You just need a dovetail bar and the right tube rings to take the scope (same as ST80 I think). All are quite cheap.

Scotastro

Thanks for the replies guys, below is a link to a side shot of the mount.

http://www.pbase.com/locky/image/98728028

It's odd that some come with or without stickers and also different methods of mounting the OTA.

The Dec adjustment has no back lash what so ever, the RA adjustment has a little back lash. Do you think the worm wheel is not engaging enough causing a little back lash ?.

Paul

The side on view confirms - EQ3-2 although I was under the impression that the dovetail head came out at the same time as the tubular steel legs. In any event, despite some reports to the contrary, I have found the alloy legs to be fine in use I am just sensible about how tightly I do up the leg extension clamps as these are a potential weak spot but only if you are ham-fisted - mine is three years old and good as new!

I have found the alloy legs to be fine in use I am just sensible about how tightly I do up the leg extension clamps as these are a potential weak spot but only if you are ham-fisted - mine is three years old and good as new!

Even the leg clamps have nice big brass threaded inserts, you would have to go some to strip one of those.

I was worried about the legs twisting but they are quite a bit bigger than the ones on a EQ2 mount and I'm only going to stick a 127 Mak on it so it should be upto the job.

I'm in the process of stripping the head down as the worm wheels need fine tuning.

Overall I'm impreessed with this mount, it's a big improvement on my Celestron CG2 mount. The two mounts are like chalk and cheese. I like the idea of a quick release dovetail clamp for ease of swapping the OTA.

Paul

I've had mine for about two years. The vernier on the RA scale has disappeared, but otherwise as good as new. I got the wooden tripod, which is very firm.

Hi WH

I've heard that the wooden legs are the better option, I may well concider that if the aluminium legs are too wobbly.

BTW I've got to ask, is that your passport photo ?.

Paul

Hi WH

I've heard that the wooden legs are the better option, I may well concider that if the aluminium legs are too wobbly.

BTW I've got to ask, is that your passport photo ?.

Paul

It is a passport photo, but it's one I decided not to use. I thought the first one I'd had taken had expired, but it hadn't , so I used that one instead, and was left with this one.

I like the wooden legs better than the aluminum legs that came with my Meade, but that's a bit comparing apples to oranges, as the Meade tripod was department store trash. I made a taller wooden tripod for my refractor, and it is rock solid.

Archived