NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recently inherited the following Starlight Xpress and Astronomy Items....

Epoch

Hello there. Recently, I inherited the equipment listed below from a deceased relative. I have gotten a handle on how to use the equipment visually, but have no idea how to put all the items together to do Astrophotography. I need help.

The equipment is as follows:

• Celestron C14 SCT
  • Celestron CGE Pro Mount
  • Celestron 9x50 finderscope
  • Celestron GPS unit
  • Celestron StarSense unit
  • Scopebuggy
  • Starizona SCT Corrector (it is also a .75 reducer and its main purpose is to flatten the field and eliminate coma)
  • IDAS LPS-P2 light pollution filter
  • Starlight Instruments Feather Touch Focuser
  • Starlight Instruments Focuser Boss II Digital Control System (for auto focusing of the feather touch focuser)
  • Starlight Xpress SXV-AOLF (large format Active/adaptive optics)
  • Starlight Xpress OAG unit (off axis guider unit)
  • Starlight Xpress SXVR-M26C color CCD camera
  • Starlight Xpress Lodestar Autoguider
  • Maxim DL V6 and The Sky X software

How do I physically connect everything up and interface it with the software?

Thank you for any and all help.

-George

Whilst I do not have that scope, what  I would suggest is to sort out the basics first. I have the adaptive optics unit. They are really good but need some careful setting up and practice to get going. It will not be needed initially, so forget it for a while. I presume you have the instructions for the mount and c14. So I would start with them. Get it put together and try to polar align. I believe you will need to fit the star sense unit and the gps. It should tell you how in the instructions. If you do not have them go online and download them first. Read as much as possible to get the initial ideas. 

There are plenty of our members here I am sure with the Celestron C14 and the mount. They will be along shortly to help. 

The OAG will fit onto the colour CCD camera. It is used to take some of the photons off to the guide camera. The guide camera is the Loadstar. That fits onto the top of the prism on the OAG, at right angles to the incoming light train.

Some one else will give you more information. 

But I really suggest you read the instructions several times to get an idea about the equipment. 

Leave Maxim DL and The Sky X for some time later. They takes a lot of learning. (Very steep learning curve).

You have a really nice inheritance there, something most would give their eyeteeth for. 

Hope this helps a bit. 

Derek

3 hours ago, Epoch said:

Hello there. Recently, I inherited the equipment listed below from a deceased relative. I have gotten a handle on how to use the equipment visually, but have no idea how to put all the items together to do Astrophotography. I need help.

I think this is far too complicated to explain to you in a few sentences. I suggest you read a couple of books on the subject first, so you have some idea of what you are up to. 
Many technical disciplines are involved in astrophotography. It is not just a matter of putting things together and shoot away. You really have to know what you are doing.

So again, I suggest you read some books about the subject and then read some more. Read the manuals carefully and get familiar with the jargon.
Be prepared to need a lot of patience and perceverance...

edit: check out a local astronomy club, they will be more then pleased to help you .

Good luck!

Archived