NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CCD 1st Light

Managed to get some data the other night with my camera and Ha filter.

I know what has gone wrong in the picture, but was wondering if there is a way to get rid of it, or stop what is happening.

HeartNebweirdness.thumb.jpg.d3b7e5d9a580

The banded lines are from the flats that I took.  To me it looks like mains freq interference patterns, similar to what you get on cameras looking at TV's.  The light I use is an LED panel that covers the front of my OTA.

Am going to redo the pre processing without the flats, but does anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate this interference?

I'd try a white t-shirt flat, a different routing of the usb cable to the camera making sure it's nowhere near the led power supply, a different usb cable and finally if none of that made a difference i'd suspect the refresh rate of the panel is slower than the shutter setting on the camera ish...see if a dimmer panel brightness and longer shutter setting change the pattern.

The white t-shirt flat is just to confirm the patterns from the led flats.

I have seen this effect with my EL panel and short exposures.  Solved it by using a Leefilter Neutral density film. Either 2 stops or 4 stops. IIRC

You will need to redo your flats.  As Neil C said you could use a white tee shirt instead of the lee filter but I have no idea what effect it would have on exposure times.

Andy

Archived