Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade scopes - nice ad's pity about the quality?

To be honest with you Gurney, I've just decided to sell my LX200R, and trade up to an EQ6 and a decent refractor. Its just gone onto Astro Buy and Sell (excuse the plug...)

My goal is taking deep-sky astro-photographs, and I am just finding the LX too difficult to focus accurately, even with the electronic focuser. After discussing this around with a few astro-friends, who have been telling me since I began that the mount is everything, and that a refractor will work best for deep-sky imaging, i've decided to listen to what they say.

If I were you, I would look at what you wish to achieve in this hobby before taking the plunge (which, of course, you are!)

As for Meade vs Celestron or other manufacturer, well, knowing now what I know now, I wouldn't buy a 'complete' kit again, if it didn't have the facility to chop and change OTA's from mounts of course!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... I am just finding the LX too difficult to focus accurately, even with the electronic focuser.

I am not an imager but I think the solution there is to fit a Crayford and lock the mirror.

After discussing this around with a few astro-friends, who have been telling me since I began that the mount is everything, and that a refractor will work best for deep-sky imaging, i've decided to listen to what they say.

That does seem to be the preferred route.

Hi Gurney,

Sure - its here: http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=19227

Flo: I have the LX200R, which comes with an electronic focuser. I do lock the mirror, and focus using that to bring things into focus. The problem here is that at 2.5m focal length getting good focus for imaging is very very exact and difficult. Even with the 0.63 Focal Reducer on, its tricky. Most of the problem is that the skies above England are just too turbulent with the Jetstream most of the time.

Of course, I should mention here that the optics themselves are pristine, and produce beautiful visual (and photographic) images, for example:

6686_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

6687_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

My frustration with the scope comes from the fact that I do not really look through it anymore, as I pretty much just attempt to take images. I would just like an easier way and less atmosphere dependant way to do so, and so its up for sale...

Cheers,

Richie

Archived