SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need Help IDing a Star

Ralphf

Hi. I'm relatively new to the, "binocular astronomy" hobby. Early this AM  0430 3/17/16 (Japan standard time)  -- 3/16/16  1630 GMT , I was looking around the Scorpius constellation with my Celestron 15x70 and noticed a feint star just to the northeast of Mars (2 o'clock position) and to the northwest of nearby Acrab (11 o'clock position). I am guessing it was about magnitude 8. I checked my, "Sky Guide" app and although it shows the star that I saw, it offers no information about it. My, "SkySafari" app shows nothing in this position. According to the Sky Guide app, as Acrab separates from Mars over the next few days, my unidentified star moves away with Acrab. Does anyone have any idea as to which star this might be?Thanks in advance for any info. 

Ralph

Thank you very much, Chris. I'm in south Osaka prefecture -- not too far from Kansai International Airport. My area is semi-suburban so I get sporadic dark sky conditions. I'm hoping to get into some darker areas as the weather gets warmer. I appreciate your help. 

Chris, I'm thinking of maybe heading inland into Wakayama Prefecture in search of dark skies. It's a bit of a trek, but a friend of mine lives in rural Kyoto Prefecture, so if I have time I can lug my binoculars to his place. 

Archived