Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

'First' Light 130P modded + Homebrew AstroEQ

Ok - finally a break in the fog and clouds - so took the 130P outside tonight to a after its shortening mods on Saturday and focuser rebuild today, I did my first ever polar alignment, did my first ever EQmod alignment - decided a wireless game-pad is a necessity after doing this!!  Recommendations??  Realised I'd forgotten to change my GPS position in EQ and Stellarium but only 3 miles from home so thought I might as well try it and slewed to Orion and it was on the camera screen after a few seconds of shutter open :) 13 seconds seemed to be the optimum time given the LP... My subs look like attached - I didn't DSS them yet - I'm tired and I don't know what I'm doing really, I'll watch some tutorials at work - I have about 5 minutes worth to work with...

I did try Andromeda also but its quite low on the horizon and right in the LP emanating from Stevenage so I don't hold out much hope - I don't think I'll need guiding around where I live much as 60 sec exposure is orange wash out, until they switch the lights off at midnight I guess....

Still worried about focus and collimation - but at least I can see something in the picture :):)

Feel pleased what I've achieved so far for £120.  £135 for EQ5 but sold the motors for £60, bought 130P for £45 and home-brew AstroEQ with parts I had lying around at home.  Clearly plenty of scope for improvement.

orion.jpg

Not bad at all! Just a tad out of focus. I would recommend using a Bahtinov Mask on a bright star to focus. I'd be lost without mine.

What camera did you use? If a Canon, the Astronomik clip-in filter is excellent (for sodium lights - none for LEDs I'm afraid, except narrowband imaging!) and will allow you to push up your exposures.

Can't advise on a  wireless game-pad but others will be along soon to advise.

Alexxx

Yeah I will be constructing a mask today to help with focusing.  

I ran the subs through DSS and sharpened a little in GIMP and got this which is quite pleasing to me for my first attempt...  I have a central glow in the middle of the image which I assume would be fixed with flats (if I had taken any?)

orion nebula.jpg

Archived