Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Raw to create LRGB?

I think the best results for LRGB data is to use a monochrome camera with the appropriate filters. A mono camera only has luminance so all pixels are used to create each image and so produces better resolution once the separate exposures are combined. I wouldn't think there was much of an advantage of using a colour DSLR and then using filters, but I've not tried it and others will know better.

The raw images you have contain RGB data, but I can't see how working on these individually will produce better results. I sometimes extract luminance data from the RAW and process two images, one RGB the other Luminance then combine them at the end in PixInsight.

I've not gone down the LRGB route yet as it takes much much longer to capture an image, but the results are really impressive. Maybe when I get my Obsy built I will try it.

You can do a "fake" LRGB in your image processing software. Use this if you don't have luminance data.

Extract a luminance (L) layer from the RGB image. Then optimise the L layer: noise reduction, sharpening, contrast enhancement, etc, etc.

Blur the RGB image somewhat and then combine the blurred RGB with the optimised L.

If done carefully, you can increase colour saturation without increasing the noise.

There are several tutorials on the internet, one is

http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/dslr_llrgb_tutorial.php

Good luck

Archived