NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

March 6, 2016: Very short H-alpha session, but great proms

Managed to catch a hole in the clouds and had a look with the SolarMax-II 60 both in single-stack and double-stack mode. I usually leave the double-stack unit on, but for tuning the internal etalon removed it, and was rewarded with a very nice view of a faint, but very extended detached prominence far south on the western limb. A small spike could be seen jutting out of the disk, and a ghostly flame towered above it, a short way from the spike. Another big prom could be seen on the north-western limb. Two more shorter proms showed on north-eastern limb. Adding the double-stack unit dimmed the proms. but they were still well visible. I noted the proms in the east turned into filaproms, as the contrast on the disk increased dramatically. A lovely band of plage areas with attendant filaments spans the northern hemisphere. Really nice views, if short-lived with all the clouds racing past.

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 14:18, Peter Drew said:

Nice report Michael, I managed a five minute slot, before a large swaythe of cloud arrived, which mirrored your description.

Me too, managed 5 minutes.  Massive prominence bottom left, biggest I've seen. 
Only my 3rd outing with the scope. Still getting used to the tuning etc

Archived