Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A few questions on maintenance

So got my hands on a skywatcher 200p / EQ5 and a Helios 102mm refractor, otherwise commonly known as the Skywatcher ST102. Both used and in almost perfect condition

Prior to the first viewing sessions the primary mirror as well as the lens on the refractor were spotless. After my first encounter with Dew which was later addressed by setting up earlier to let equipment acclimatize etc I was confident it would be fine however i'm now finding very tiny marks coating the entire primary mirror. As for the refractor their are around 2-3 white spots which look like condensation orbiting a grain of dust.

Can't put my finger on why the marks are appearing and if anything to worry about, with the reflector in particular since the marks are behind the lens. Only owned everything for a month and used 2-3 times so hope it's all okay..

if theirs anything else i can do to clean or improve storage please do let me know. I'll try get some images up tonight...

Currently storing Everything indoors now. Refractor lives in it's original box with bubble wrap and a few silica bags. 200p just stands up in the corner of the room.

Any questions let me know, thanks

close your eyes and walk away.  seriously it will be fine if you are that concerned there are some excellent vids on youtube on how to clean your mirror. mirrors will collect dust and dew will settle but it wont affect your image until you can see your face :) have a look at. have a look at kielders mirror :p

as for your frac. FLO do a cleaning fluid. its call Baader wonder fluid. i use to use it on my ED80 

post-5361-0-62349500-1349738469.jpg

Hi Ya Jambo, I Think whenever we see a dewed up set of optics - it drives you round the bend !!, It would be good if you can store the scopes as close to outside temp as possible.  When the dew starts to form it creates a great number of different patterns on the optics - just like a few spiders have been walking around in there.  It happens to us all especially when your moving warm lenses/mirrors into the cold and vice versa - if you have to store indoors in the warm, just cap the optics/scopes and store in the coolest part of the house, but repeated exposure to cold/warm conditions will cause dew - I try to keep all my optics as close to the outside temp as possible, in a shed that's un - heated, this keeps the optics more or less free from stains caused by water marks drying out on the optics - its just how it is, we all spend too much time looking down the wrong end of the scope - me, especially, but I'm afraid its part of the hobby and don't let anyone tell you any different !!! - we all like to think that our optics are the most sterile/cleanest they can be, but as soon as you venture out under the cold, damp air - dew begins on the slippery slope of covering our scopes.

So if you want a nice CLEAN DEW FREE scope - YOU CAN FORGET ABOUT USING IT OUTSIDE - KEEP IT IN ITS NICE PROTECTIVE ENVIRONMENT - Whatever you do, don't use it for observing!!!!

No really it happens, so just get out there and use it for what its meant for!!

Paul.

Archived