NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron CG-5 Power Supply

lewis_riches

I'm looking for a mains to cigarette lighter DC adapter to power my newly-acquired CG-5 mount. I'm a bit apprehensive after hearing numerous horror stories of fried circuit boards, so wanted to check before buying. Also, Celestron don't supply the power details in the manual (just that I should be buying the power supply straight from them - hardly a surprise). The mount comes with an adapter that runs from a cigarette lighter socket to a DC plug that goes straight into the mount, so ideally I want to just plug it into something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-5000ma-car-accessory-socket-ac-dc-power-supply-l25ay

Would this work? Am I taking a risk?

Thanks

Lewis

This one costs a little more and you won't need the cigarette adapter. The specs for the psu  you have linked to suggest that it is a non regulated output which means that the voltage may vary from the quoted 12v when a load is applied to it, the psu I have suggested does have a regulated output which is want the mount requires to perform correctly.  A non regulated may cause the mount to behave erratically when slewing because the psu cannot supply sufficient current.

Please bear in mind that Mains powered DC supplies need to 
be well protected from the elements if you are using it outdoors.
You would be wise to plug your psu into an RCD unit if you are outdoors.
Mains cable should be well protected too.
Better safe than sorry.

Having had to have my mount returned to Celestron twice for motor drive failure, both times the question arose "How are you Powering the mount?"

That is a gotcha question. In the warranty it is written that the mount must be powered by a Celestron power tank or Celestron AC adapter. In both cases I emailed them proof I had purchased a Celestron power supply.

So, I own a Celestron branded AC power supply for my mount, but I use a very large AGM battery as my mounts supply. It can run my mount and CCD camera's cooling for days on end. The ac power supply is in my experience too small to adequately power the mount. And I never charge the battery if the mount is connected.

But a battery is the best way to supply power to the mount, The plug of the power cord has a 5 amp fuse in it to protect the mount.

Archived