new eyepiece purchase

neil groves

The Ethos range have a 1.25" barrel option in the 13mm and shorter focal lengths. Be aware though that 100 degree eyepieces are big and weighty beasts (even the short focal length ones) - they are more secure in 2" focusers IMHO even if they don't need that size barrel for the optical design. Thats why the manufacturers have chosen to give you a 2" option. Here is my 13mm Ethos in a 1.25" diagonal in a Celestron C5 I used to own - it's quite a fun setup but not one that I'd recommend really, in terms of eyepiece security:

c5az201.jpg

c5az302.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow....tons of great information here, thankyou all so much

I think my only other question then is FOV....I LOVE my Orion D70 for it's wide field views when viewing star clusters but is that good for planetary use or am I better off with a

narrower field of view?

thanks

Neil.

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 19:40, jetstream said:

More aperture Neil, if possible. An 8"-10" dob... they also have a longer focal length and more mag in the exit pupil sweet spot...

I have heard the term "light bucket" used for Dobs and am assuming that these beasts are best for deep sky viewing, can they be driven though for long exposure photography for  nebula etc?

Neil.

On 29/02/2016 at 01:14, neil groves said:

ok so now i'm tempted to get a Delos just out of curiosity.....but what if I like it?.......I mean REALLY like it?...... and get addicted to Delos, it could be an excersise that may end up costing a couple grand or more over time *grins*

seriously wary of trying this.....maybe I can find somewhere that will let me try one out before actually making the purchase?...I observed M42 last night through a 20mm

skywatcher eyepiece and it almost filled the FOV and after a few mins the gas cloud became clearly visible, now that eyepiece came with the scope so I am assuming

it isn't the best eyepiece, so what would I see with a Delos?.....would the view make me pee my pants?

Neil.

Great post ;) This is also why I'd be scared to look through an Ethos for fear I'd like them too much!

I spent my first year or so very happy with this ~€45 EP as a dramatic upgrade to the stock eps:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4839_GSO-SuperView-15mm---1-25--WA-eyepiece---70--FoV.html

I then took the plunge and bought my first TV EP - a Nagler 13mm (type 6). Whoa!!! :shocked: The first night I used it (and every night since) I saw M42 show a very strong green colour throughout the nebulosity - it was fifty shades of grey in the 15mm SWA EP.  I was hooked, and slowly acquired 2 more TV EPs, and then a PM for my 250px. I've had many years of use out of them, and hope to get many more... :)

49 minutes ago, neil groves said:

I have heard the term "light bucket" used for Dobs and am assuming that these beasts are best for deep sky viewing, can they be driven though for long exposure photography for  nebula etc?

Neil.

The can be driven either with motors on each axis or though a device called an equatorial platform. These help a lot with visual astronomy but are generally not accurate enough to allow deep sky imaging.

The dobsonian is the mount really. The tube of the scope is the newtonian design.

They provide the way to get the most aperture for your £/$ as possible because the bulk of the the money goes into the optics.

Archived