Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomik 12nm H Alpha eos filter

33 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

I've used this filter under a full moon with moderate results. There not perfect but I could still manage 10 min subs without it being washed out

Ok 10 mins is pretty good, do you have any pics shot with it?

Here's a HH taken a few years ago taken with an Astronomic 13nm Ha filter with a near full moon pretty close by.  It's a CCD chip so you might not get the same resolution with a DSLR but the point is that the filter does a pretty impressive job filtering out moonlight.  The subs used were 20 mins with an F5 scope

The converse is that the filter will screen out nearly all the rest of the spectrum so only good for Ha.

HH_Ha_mono_19th Dec.jpg

23 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Here's a HH taken a few years ago taken with an Astronomic 13nm Ha filter with a near full moon pretty close by.  It's a CCD chip so you might not get the same resolution with a DSLR but the point is that the filter does a pretty impressive job filtering out moonlight.  The subs used were 20 mins with an F5 scope

The converse is that the filter will screen out nearly all the rest of the spectrum so only good for Ha.

HH_Ha_mono_19th Dec.jpg

Thats awesome, I've got a modded 100D so if I am able to get 10 mins subs that would be great.

this is just under 3 hours of NGC2244 taken last weekend under the almost full moon with an astro modded canon 600D and 12nm Ha clip filter from astronomik.

My processing skills are questionable (there not very good), but i'm still learning

rossette Halpha.jpg

2 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

this is just under 3 hours of NGC2244 taken last weekend under the almost full moon with an astro modded canon 600D and 12nm Ha clip filter from astronomik.

My processing skills are questionable (there not very good), but i'm still learning

rossette Halpha.jpg

Looks great, subs length?

5 minutes ISO 1600

I'd usually use 10 min subs at ISO 800 but it was windy so I didn't want to loose many subs due to trailing as my setup isn't the most stable.

Skywatcher 200p on an eq5 mount which most on here will say is a no no as it's not overly stable 

3 hours ago, geordie85 said:

5 minutes ISO 1600

I'd usually use 10 min subs at ISO 800 but it was windy so I didn't want to loose many subs due to trailing as my setup isn't the most stable.

Skywatcher 200p on an eq5 mount which most on here will say is a no no as it's not overly stable 

Ok great...nice work ;)

One thing, does it become too dark to focus in liveview?

6 hours ago, jason32 said:

Ok great...nice work ;)

One thing, does it become too dark to focus in liveview?

As said above, it can be quite difficult that's why I tend to focus as soon as I can. 

So what I'll do is set everything up and when I'm doing my star alignment I'll stop on the first star (which is usually the brightest one in my view of the sky. So at the moment, that is sirius) which is bright enough to get perfect focus.

Then I'll start again with my star alignment 

Archived