Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2016 So Far

RSM

Good Evening. Thought I'd post a few of my latest images for feedback. Having had my 200PDS now for about 5 months and guiding system since the New Year, I'm starting to explore a little beyond M42, M31 and the Horsehead & Flame Nebulae. Here's a first go at the Whirlpool Galaxy M51. This was from a set of about a dozen 3 minute subs, guided and captured with my unmodded EOS500D. Hope to take some more to add further detail over the next few weeks.

56ccbbee0fd2a_M51-WhirlpoolGalaxy(reduce

This next one is Bode's Galaxy and the Cigar Galaxy (M81 and M82), same set up but this was a stack of 24 x 3min subs. I really like the fact that these are able to be captured in a single set of subs - two galaxies for the price of one....

56ccbc11c1f8e_M81BodesGalaxyM82CigarGala

...and finally, probably the one I'm most pleased with, I went back to M42 and took three sets of 19 x 3min subs, stacked them, created a mosaic and then processed in PI (all three images processed in PI with Bias and Dark frames but no Flats - so far I find I can get better results without Flats using the DBE function in PI - maybe I'm not taking my Flats correctly)...

56ccbc1de4a97_SwordofOrion(reducedsize).

There is a strange streak / smudge on the left hand side of the image - I think that has come from the Christmas Lights in the neighbours garden (grrrrr!) which are still on at the end of February. It's at the same angle as the diffraction spikes from the stars, so I assume some light got in somewhere - it doesn't appear on the individual subs to the eye but appears after stacking so I assume it's there in the individuals but just not visible until stacked.

Thanks for looking. If you feel I could improve these in any way, please pass on your feedback.

Clear Skies, Richard

46 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Christmas lights at the end of Feb! disgraceful!

Great shots though. A nice light touch on the processing too.

Paul

I did ask her to turn them off last new moon, which she did without a problem, but after being away for half term holidays I noticed they are back on...!!!

Maybe they're for Easter now???

Archived