NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Megrez 72 Versus ED80 Pro (again…)

I’m on the verge of buying an ED80 for £234. :D

For an extra £50 I could get the Megrez 72.

It will be used for observing whilst also dabbling with imaging on my SLT mount.

Which one would you recommend? :D

Cheers

Jon

I think it's a guestion of OTA quality V's Aperture.

I have owned a Megrez 72 and was very happy with it. I sold it because the Megrez 90 made it redundant.

I think the ED 80 may be better for observation work and imaging

and don't forget the carry case is an option with the WO. Don't think the ED80 comes with a case ether...? sorry.

Just my two pennies worth. :D

IMHO the current price of the ED80 makes it pretty hard to beat.

However, the 72 is smaller, faster and lighter, so will be of greater benefit to widefield imaging. Since you are doing a bit of both, you have to weigh it up.

Remember: the ED80 has 23% more light grasp than the M72.

I would say visual=ED80 and imaging=M72.

Andrew

I think you need to watch the weight on the SLT mount - so I'd say WO...

Helen

Hadn't really considered weight. I suppose the lighter scope will always put less stress on the mount. I do know the mount can take up to 3.5kg and the ED80 comes in at 2.5kg, add a camera and a hyperion and I should still (just) be OK. The Megrez weighs 2.2kg (heavier than I thought) so there's not a lot in it.......

....I would say visual=ED80 and imaging=M72.

Andrew

I think I'll be doing more visual than anything else. The ED80 is currently in pole :D

Thanks for your help

Jon

Watch that one on e-bay its an OTA only, nothing else supplied! Ive just brought an ED80 PRO OTA from Sherwoods for £225 brand new (and a compleat William Optics rear end for it, 1:10 reduced focuser + scale on the draw tube from The Wide Screen Center) :D Orion

Archived