NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planning first RGB session, advice required

RobertI

I now have a filterwheel and LRGBHa filters and I am planning what targets to try this setup with. So basically I am looking for some colourful objects in the regions of Cassiepeia, Perseus, Auriga, or Ursa Major (due to my limited viewing aspect). I have the options of the widefield 72mm @ F3.8 or the narrower RC6 at F4.5, I'd rather not switch between the two druing the session. i was thinking just RGB to start with to keep it simple (no L or Ha).

My initial thoughts were to use the 72mm @ F3.8 to have a look at a cluster (the double cluster or the Owl cluster?), a nebula (the Pacman?) and a Galaxy (M32 - possibly too big or M82/82 - possibly too small).

Any thoughts on the best scope and objects for my first RGB session? :) 

Hi Rob

I guess you'll end up spending some time with the colour sliders to obtain a reasonable colour balance, and for that I'd recommend M103 in CAS because there is reasonably-calibrated colour data to compare against (though the Owl Cluster will also serve). 

The Owl Nebula M97 is another possibility in that area. NGC 1502 at the end of Kemble's Cascade is another great OC. You might be able to catch quite a bit of the Cascade too with your wide field setup and I believe there are some colour contrasts along the chain.

Galaxies are a different story re colour but the violent red of M82 would be an interesting target, if a bit small as you say.

You could also look as Herschel's Garnet Star in CEP and maybe some colour contrast doubles?

Martin

9 hours ago, Starlight 1 said:

Add a camera to the list may help  and look in Field of view Calculator - 12 Dimensional String and how it look in size.

Thanks Starlight1, i have the FOVs set up in SkySafari so have a good idea, just mainly wondering about the colours....

7 hours ago, Martin Meredith said:

Hi Rob

I guess you'll end up spending some time with the colour sliders to obtain a reasonable colour balance, and for that I'd recommend M103 in CAS because there is reasonably-calibrated colour data to compare against (though the Owl Cluster will also serve). 

The Owl Nebula M97 is another possibility in that area. NGC 1502 at the end of Kemble's Cascade is another great OC. You might be able to catch quite a bit of the Cascade too with your wide field setup and I believe there are some colour contrasts along the chain.

Galaxies are a different story re colour but the violent red of M82 would be an interesting target, if a bit small as you say.

You could also look as Herschel's Garnet Star in CEP and maybe some colour contrast doubles?

Martin

Thanks for the suggestions Martin. I'd forgotten that Cassiepiea is getting quite low now so NGC1502 might be a better bet. Ok I think I have a good selection to start with, let's see what happens!

Archived