Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adjusting goto dob alt az tension

I an a bit concerned about how stiff the manual alt az movement is, on my goto dob base, especially the azimuth. I was on the Orion site and got chatting to one of their techs  who just said all their goto dobs are stiff, but in their own promo video for the XTG range the guy is pushing the 10" one around like a normal dob with one hand, I take it  that his definition and my definition of stiff are a bit different. Seeing as the weather won't let me use it I've been trawling the net for answers. I came across a couple of threads on Cloudy Nights about guys having the same problem and one of them posted this link   to a thread on here about fixing the problem. Is this what I should do, all I want is to make it move more freely as the main reason I decided to buy this scope (apart from the price) was to use it as a push to with the auto tracking. The full goto will only come into it's own when I get it to a dark site without the viewing limitations I have at home. It seems to work fine under motor control but I am afraid it may strain the motors,

I have a SW 300p GoTo and find the the az (but not the alt) movement quite stiff but  still movable . I I suspect it s  because ther is no clutch there and the az motor itself offers some resistance to manual movement.

Ok I've just finished this and it works, it's still a bit stiffer than I'd like but a million times better than it was. I'll see how I get on when the weather allows. The motors also sound less strained. I done exactly as "Squeaky" did it for the Azimuth except after finger tightening collar nut that exerts the pressure on the spring cup washers, I just gave it a quarter turn of the spanner. I think there is a bit of a design flaw with the way the OTA mounts to the base in that if you are slewing manually  ( pushing ) to the right its fine but when you slew ( pull ) to the left you pull the passive trunnion up out of the two rubberised roller bearings and twist the the panel that the Alt motor is fitted to , ( not good ) I think that might even be a problem unless it was buttery smooth. Now that I think of it do the standard XT8s not have spring tensioners pulling the trunnions down into those bearings?

Archived