NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Happy Birthday Galileo Galilei

jambouk

"Galileo" must be one of the most famous astronomers in the history of astronomy, a name even non-enthusiasts know.

Thanks to seeing something on Facebook just, it came to my attention it is his birthday today, he'd be 452 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

Whether or not he "invented" the telescope, he is certainly the name which is best known for its early use, and he transformed our understanding of the heavens.

What an amazing guy.

Happy Birthday, Galileo, I'm going to have a pint to toast you.

James

Galilean Trivia:

untitled3.jpg?w=700

I knew Galileo's middle finger (left in photo above) was contained in an elaborate reliquary in the Galileo Museum in Florence, Italy. Why? and How? were questions I never saw fit to ask!

Now all is revealed...  "Galileo’s fingers were all safely attached when he died, and remained with his other bones until his tomb was opened 95 years after his death. Galileo’s disciple Vincenzo Viviani had arranged for the transfer of his remains to the Basilica of Santa Croce and Antonio Francesco Gori, a priest and antiquarian, and others somewhat surreptitiously extracted three digits, a tooth and a vertebra."

The vertebra ended up at the University of Padua and the middle finger was preserved in the Florence science museum which became the Galileo Museum in 2010.  The thumb, index finder and tooth were passed down for generations in the family of an Italian marquis, but in 1905 they were sold and became lost for many years. These turned up in an auction in 2009, although without any form of documentation associating them with the astronomer. Fortunately the anonymous buyer had a description! The museum agreed, and now all three fingers are happily reunited.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/6618975/Galileos-missing-fingers-found.html

I've got Tycho's nose. Honest I have, would I lie to you? Good condition for the year, stored in a dry garage, go on, you're robbing me, I'll do it you for 25 grand, chap. It's nearly worth that just for the gold. No tin in it, that's cobblers, that is, solid gold sure asI'm standin' 'ere.

Archived