Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starlight Live Lodestar-C colour decoding improvements preview

Paul81

Hi All,

I have been working on improving the tricky colour decoding of the Lodestar-C CYGM bayer sensor. I have switched to a different method of converting the CYGM colorspace to RGB, so I thought I'd quickly post some comparison pictures.

Here is a shot of a test card using the equations from the current released build:

CYGM-Original.png.f7af10519b8652817d962c

And here is the result from the modified code:

CYGM-Colour-Additive.png.2a6828683fe9d4b

In terms of real DSOs, here is a shot of M27 from the current release code:

M27_CYGM-Original.png.dbe5e6fe6976d4745d

And here from the modified code:

M27-CYGM-Additive.png.78f11317a887b9ec26

In these comparisons I have used the same display processing settings, so the differences are purely a function of the new code.

I have also been working on an automatic defective pixel removal, with the following results (these images do not have darks applied):

Defective pixel removal disabled:

M51-defective-pixels.png.9b97af7a3e67571

Defective pixel removal enabled:

M51-defective-pixels-removed.png.de4f573

I'd still recommend darks to get rid of other noise, but the defective pixels algorithm seems to work reasonably well, needs a few tweaks but its progress (it introduces some artefacts around bright stars which I want to get rid of)!

Depending on timescales for V3.0, I may do a V2.2 update with the new CYGM code, but defective pixel removal will be a V3.0 feature.

Paul

Nice, Paul,

Having just purchased a new Ultrastar last week (Mono), I am hoping to get to try the new software soon. I have started a little bit of outreach with some local kids and I thought this will be a brilliant way of showing them images appearing as they watch.

Keep up the good work !!

Gordon.

Archived